Seatbelt locked

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

batboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Turbo Diesel
I did a quick search to no avail. I just purchased a 2001 2500 quad cab diesel with the seat belts in the seats. The driver side belt is locked in the retracted position, which means no seat belt. Is this fixable or should I just go get a new seat? Thanks in advance!

Matt

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Well that is a good one havent heard of that yet. One thing you could try is to move the back of the seat forward or back if you can. That might release it.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I did a quick search to no avail. I just purchased a 2001 2500 quad cab diesel with the seat belts in the seats. The driver side belt is locked in the retracted position, which means no seat belt. Is this fixable or should I just go get a new seat? Thanks in advance!

Matt
Doesn't the shoulder belt portion run inside the B pillar?

I had an 03 Durango where the locking mechanism froze and had to be replaced. Its a $300 part from the dealer because it uses an explosive charge triggered at air bag deployment to lock up the shoulder belt in a collision.

Its an easy R&R, but you'll have to wait a week or so for delivery and the guys in parts wont like you very much cause they have to sign all kinds of insurance forms.

OP
OP
B

batboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Turbo Diesel
Well the cause may be from what you say which is basically an accident. Although I'm having the truck thoroughly scanned for any signs of an accident I do know there are a lot of donor parts from another truck. Anyway, apparently the Gen 2 quad cabs all have the belts in the actual seat. Is this correct? The passenger side is fine. Only the driver side is locked. I really don't want to take the seat apart to fix it and that's why I asked if it might be better to just buy a new/salvage seat.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Well the cause may be from what you say which is basically an accident. Although I'm having the truck thoroughly scanned for any signs of an accident I do know there are a lot of donor parts from another truck. Anyway, apparently the Gen 2 quad cabs all have the belts in the actual seat. Is this correct? The passenger side is fine. Only the driver side is locked. I really don't want to take the seat apart to fix it and that's why I asked if it might be better to just buy a new/salvage seat.
Mine wasn't in an accident the POS just siezed on the driver side.

Good thought though to look her over. Easiest give away of front end fender blender is airbag/steering wheel. Does the wheel grip area show appropriate wear for the number of miles on the odometer or does it look new or mismatched?

OP
OP
B

batboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Turbo Diesel
Well there is a lot of mismatched stuff on this beast. And it does have a salvage title. But before I bought it I looked it over real good and everything underneath looks real good (almost new hmmmm). Anyway, I got it for a steal but have to fix all these little things to get it to pass inspection. Most everything is easy, but this seat belt has me baffled.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I have also heard that there is a connection to the seats and the rollover box under the middle seat. I would check there for some disconnected wires. And yes all the rams in the 2nd gen that I have seen have belts in the seat.

Nightwing1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter HEMI
Mine locked up on me one time. I was able to pull the guide cover out of the seat to gain better access and release the belt eventually. It had twisted up retracting into the seat one day. The cover popped back in the seat afterwards.

It was annoying because I was getting off work and it was a hot summer day so I took my chance and drove it home and fixed it there. Something I don't recommend. :uhoh2:

OP
OP
B

batboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Turbo Diesel
Mine locked up on me one time. I was able to pull the guide cover out of the seat to gain better access and release the belt eventually. It had twisted up retracting into the seat one day. The cover popped back in the seat afterwards.

It was annoying because I was getting off work and it was a hot summer day so I took my chance and drove it home and fixed it there. Something I don't recommend. :uhoh2:

Yeah that's kinda the point. In VA there is a seat belt law and they can pull you over for it now vice a supplemental ticket. So, I'm driving it illegal until it is fixed. But this is not simply tangled it is locked. I just found out these are not the original seats which stinks because the originals were power, leather, heated. Bummer. Maybe I can find a used set out there somewhere.

Nightwing1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter HEMI
Yeah that's kinda the point. In VA there is a seat belt law and they can pull you over for it now vice a supplemental ticket. So, I'm driving it illegal until it is fixed. But this is not simply tangled it is locked. I just found out these are not the original seats which stinks because the originals were power, leather, heated. Bummer. Maybe I can find a used set out there somewhere.

Yep same here in TX (been a law since 1986 I think) but regardless I wear my seat belt anyway law or no law. Plus the passengers in the back seat have to buckled up as well.

Well if opening it up and messing with it doesn't work then you may have to do the latter and find some good seats from a salvage yard and have them recovered or something. Good luck.

EDIT:I did manage to find this thread from years back too:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/o-t-99-dodge-ram-seat-belts-stuck-153690/

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

batboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Turbo Diesel
Yep same here in TX (been a law since 1986 I think) but regardless I wear my seat belt anyway law or no law. Plus the passengers in the back seat have to buckled up as well.

Well if opening it up and messing with it doesn't work then you may have to do the latter and find some good seats from a salvage yard and have them recovered or something. Good luck.

EDIT:I did manage to find this thread from years back too:
O/T '99 Dodge Ram seat belts stuck

Thanks Nightwing. I'll give some of these ideas a try and see what happens. I'll let everyone know for others sake if it happens to them.

OP
OP
B

batboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Turbo Diesel
FWIW, after some research I have found that these belts have an electromechanical switch inside. There must be 12v to the belt to release the belt. I have removed the belt. To do this I removed the seat cover (not too hard) and exposed the entire back cage. The belt is mounted to the upper left-hand (driver's side) corner of the seat and comes off with screws and two bolts. I have an extra belt so I am going to try that next. Apparently there is a seat belt control module mounted under the center seat. This provides the 12v to each of the belts. This may be the problem, but I want to try another belt first since I have one. I will let others know when and how it eventually gets fixed.

rraley55

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 quad cab
Engine
1999 Quad Cab drivers side seatbelt

I am the same issue. I just bought the truck couple of days ago and the driver's side seat belt is useless...it wont come out in order to use it. Is there a way to fix this that won't cost an arm and a leg? Thanks

OP
OP
B

batboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Turbo Diesel
I ended up buying a driver's side seat at a junk yard with a good belt. You can take the seat apart and just use the belt. Just make sure you get a truck with similar features/options. I did notice there are different belts. I took my original one apart and tried to fix but could not figure it out. I could get it to release but could not understand how it is supposed to work normally while installed. So I ended up buying a seat with a functional belt.

Installing the belt is not too difficult but you do have to remove the seat cover. I'm assuming yours is in the seat and not on the pilar. If it is in the pilar it might actually be easier to replace.

Hope that helps a little.