2001 Ram 1500 Manual Transmission Swap/Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LackingCreativity

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Transmission just went out. The truck is an '01 1500 4X4 with the 5.9L and an automatic. Would perfer a straight drive, though. Haven't had it looked at yet, but if it needs a new transmission, I'm wondering how much more it would cost to convert it. Clutch pedal, hole cut for the shifter, flywheel, transmission, ECU, and what else? I looked around a bit on the internet and from what I've read, it seems that it would need the NV4500, right?

Any info is appreciated.
Thanks

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
You pretty much have it there. Driveshaft possibly but I can't remember. Hole doesn't need cut though more than likely, should be a removable plate there.

shortlid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Thought about it myself

I thought about doing the samee thing while swaping my 5.2 or a 5.9. Following, please do a write-up if youmobe ahead.

Dodge guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6 speed

I've already done the 5 speed swap to my truck nv4500 wasn't to bad for me to do you do have to cut the hole in the floor tho, the pedals were the b#*ch tho apparently they want you to take the entire dash out for that but all I did was remove the steering column and bend the one metal bracket out of the way. The pedals are a unit can't just add the clutch pedal
I could help out with any questions if you want

What I was wondering was has anybody done a 6 speed conversion yet from a diesel to a 360? I was thinking about giving it a go

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
What I was wondering was has anybody done a 6 speed conversion yet from a diesel to a 360? I was thinking about giving it a go

Good luck with that! The bellhousings are totally different and it's literally impossible. You could do a viper T56 6 speed swap but good luck finding that

Dodge guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I fingered the bell housing wouldn't work not sure if the trany would bolt up to the nv4500 bell housing or not I have done some pulling with the 5 speed and it seams to have a big jump from 3 to 4 gear not really noticeable empty but when I'm pulling threw steep mountains I can feel it the auto did better but didn't hold up very well already went threw three autos then went to the 5 speed the auto did better once it was rolling but the Standard definitely has more punch to get the ball rolling under weight

Angrygoatls1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8
I've already done the 5 speed swap to my truck nv4500 wasn't to bad for me to do you do have to cut the hole in the floor tho, the pedals were the b#*ch tho apparently they want you to take the entire dash out for that but all I did was remove the steering column and bend the one metal bracket out of the way. The pedals are a unit can't just add the clutch pedal
I could help out with any questions if you want

I know this is an old post but just wanted to chime in as I have done this swap and it is very easy. I however, swapped in a NV3500 behind my 5.9. As far as adding the clutch pedal, don't remove the entire pedal assembly. The pedals all swing on a large pin that has a C clip on each end. You can pop the clip, slide the pin out, add the clutch pedal, slide the pin back in, and put the C clip back on. Soooo much easier than removing the entire bracket.