98 3.9 misfire after running out of gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild willie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L
OK so just bought the truck and listen to it run for about 15 mind ran fine. After dude left I tried to move it and it was out of gas. Then put gas in it and now misfires. I'm guessing injector sucked up some trash. What do y'all think?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
The fuel pump ran out of anti-sieze. It may be partially cooked. You'll need to run a fuel pressure test first while its misfiring, that will give you a direction to go in.

OP
OP
W

Wild willie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L
It might be a firing problem, exhaust seems to have a heavy gas smell

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't think running out of gas had anything to do with it. I had an '01 dakota with the 3.9 for 7-8 years and 0ver 180K miles. Seems every couple years I had to replace plugs and wires or I'd get misfire codes. Maybe if I'd bought the 8mm performance wires it might have lasted longer, but usually just bought the Auto Zone/Car Quest brand. Went with iridium plugs once, but they didn't do any better than the Autolite copper.

OP
OP
W

Wild willie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L
There is no codes but next step is going to be changing plugs and wires

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
If the pressure is good then its unlikely the fuel pump. As Wahrsul has mentioned don't let then talk you into anything but the stock heat range copper plugs, go with any brand you want in the copper heat range (some people have problems with Autolite others say they work great)

OP
OP
W

Wild willie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L
Well plugs and wires didn't solve anything what should my next step be

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
What did the old plugs look like? Does the engine use oil? Starting to sound like another case of a blown plenum gasket. I'm willing to wager a blown plenum was the root of Wahrsuul's problems.

Also, what did you use for spark plugs? Our ignition systems really don't like platinum or iridium plugs and there are plenty of reports of misfiring problems while using them. Use plain ole copper or nothing at all.