99 Dodge Ram Issues with 46RE Transmission and Torque Converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pmk138

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I was wondering if anybody came across any shifting issues and Torque converter engagement issues after reinstalling an engine. I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.9 Magnum engine. I just finished putting my engine back in the truck after changing the crankshaft, bearings, intake manifold gasket and a variety of things. I initially had a stalling issue when the transmission was in Park and that was resolved after replacing the TPS. Before the sensor was changed, I also noticed a issue which I suspect is the torque converter engaging. I hoped this issue would go away, but it hasn't.

So the issue I am having is when the truck gets up to about 45 to 50 MPH with the gas pedal lightly pressured, I feel a bump in the truck and through the gas pedal. If I attempt to accelerate faster while approaching and passing the 50 MPH mark, the bump is more severe. The other thing I noticed is that while traveling about 55 MPH or so with the right foot holding the gas pedal down, when I press the brake pedal with my left foot, the engine RPM's change and then after I let go of the brake pedal, it goes back to where it was. This part is a smooth transition.

The inital lockup doesn't seem right. I am wondering if the throttle needs adjustment or maybe the transmission cable. My transmission guy I talked to thinks it is the Dacco torque converter and believes it is defective. I am leaning toward the idea that he has a bad taste in his mouth for the Dacco brand. Any help would be Awesome.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I was wondering if anybody came across any shifting issues and Torque converter engagement issues after reinstalling an engine. I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.9 Magnum engine. I just finished putting my engine back in the truck after changing the crankshaft, bearings, intake manifold gasket and a variety of things. I initially had a stalling issue when the transmission was in Park and that was resolved after replacing the TPS. Before the sensor was changed, I also noticed a issue which I suspect is the torque converter engaging. I hoped this issue would go away, but it hasn't.

So the issue I am having is when the truck gets up to about 45 to 50 MPH with the gas pedal lightly pressured, I feel a bump in the truck and through the gas pedal. If I attempt to accelerate faster while approaching and passing the 50 MPH mark, the bump is more severe. The other thing I noticed is that while traveling about 55 MPH or so with the right foot holding the gas pedal down, when I press the brake pedal with my left foot, the engine RPM's change and then after I let go of the brake pedal, it goes back to where it was. This part is a smooth transition.

The inital lockup doesn't seem right. I am wondering if the throttle needs adjustment or maybe the transmission cable. My transmission guy I talked to thinks it is the Dacco torque converter and believes it is defective. I am leaning toward the idea that he has a bad taste in his mouth for the Dacco brand. Any help would be Awesome.

It's pretty common for the torque converters to go out, but i'd start out with the easiest and most cost effective solution first. Checkout that throttle cable, then check to make sure all the connectors are clean and secure. From there, might try a fluid and filter change. Then if none of that fixes it, i'd start looking into the torque converter. That is of course, if you have no engine codes related to the transmission.

OP
OP
P

pmk138

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yeah no engine codes right now. The transmission guy said there weren't any codes in the transmission either. The engine may have a slight miss. I guess I can change the plugs and wires. Maybe oil could have fouled them up with the engine being rotated during my rebuild.

OP
OP
P

pmk138

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I noticed yesterday that when I push my brake pedal after the torque converter is engage while my foot is still on the gas pedal, the torque converter will disconnect but then reconnect while my foot is still on the brake pedal. I can see the RPM's go and then back down with one foot on the brake and one foot on the gas. I wonder if I have a bad sensor or bad connection somewhere.