Backfire between 1200-1700 rpm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash6x86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Backfire between 1200-1700 rpm (solved)

I'm new to the site but I've been reading and searching the site for some time now. I've been searching quite a bit for this issue I have been having.
It is a 1997 ram 1500 w/5.2 and 158,*** miles. What it does is it starts to buck very slightly between 1200-1700 rpms then backfires while in drive.
What I've done so far since I've owned the truck was replace distrib.cap, rotor, plugs, wires, o2 sensors, and cat since someone drilled a hole in it.
I'm not sure what to do now because there are no cels or anything when it does that.
It idles and accelerates fine. There are no modifications on the truck.
I would appreciate any help or information that will solve this issue. Thank you.

OP
OP
C

crash6x86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, after fooling around with taking each and every spark plug out and checked and regapped them. I decided to check wires and firing order again. I didn't want to take the distributor cap off but I decided to do it since I had the time.
Ah ha! I found the issue. I found that the rotor, which was replaced with the cap, wires, and plugs was all but destroyed. The contacts on the rotor were every which way but straight.
I also did notice when I removed the plugs that they had a white burn on them. I'm assuming the rotor either advanced or ******** the timing which made it miss at those rpms.
I have a picture of the rotor but I do not know how to upload it. Figured it out.

Attachments

• 20130518_110043.jpg
    20130518_110043.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 27

wingnut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
So is it running any better? If not it reminds me of the symptoms leading up to a fuel pump failure. It was doing it daily. So I rented the fuel pressure tester kit from AZ. I connected it to the fuel rail test port, and then ran the gauge up to the windshield and secured it with the wiper! I think spec was 45-55lbs. I was getting about 20 when it sputtered at cruise.

fonzyn75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I had a similar issue with my 2000 after i put new dist. cap and rotor, plugs, and wires on it she came to live again.

wingnut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
I'm gonna stick with fuel pump. They don't seem to go all at once, but they do get worse. Flooring it will make it kick-down and run, but it wont want to run at a steady speed?

OP
OP
C

crash6x86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, it runs great now. The fuel pump was replaced about 5 months ago.