good exhaust system?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SavageChild

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
So I'm looking to ditch my straight pipe exhaust because I think it's robbing a lot of my low end torque... Any recommendationson what I should do, or what systems I should look into? Or should I keep my current setup? Thanks in advance

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Magnaflow muffler or some type of glass pack would be my recommendation. Stick to either 2.25 or 2.5" pipe as well. Also look at replacing your cat, if you have one, with a high flow as well.

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
magnaflow makes a nice high flow cat with the pipes that attach to our manifolds. I bought one years ago and couldnt be happier with it!

as far as exhaust im looking to do the same thing

I have dual exhaust now, I wish at this point i left the factory exhaust on and just changed the cat and stock muffler

If i were you, to keep the torque up, go with a 2.5-3 inch single pipe system

as far as mufflers its your choice. Dont go with flowmaster, they are loud, annoying and and dont flow very good.

Id suggest magnaflow (great quality and sound) dynomax (good value and sound)

I heard some guys running corsa mufflers and borla...with good results

I love the sound of magnaflows. I have them on my 440 charger and love the sound (once they broke in)

here is what im shooting for with my truck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJOCBq27mXg

skip to 2:20

thats the factory exhaust pipe with mag high flow cat and mag muffler

sounds so good...very jealous of his sound

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
magnaflow makes a nice high flow cat with the pipes that attach to our manifolds. I bought one years ago and couldnt be happier with it!

as far as exhaust im looking to do the same thing

I have dual exhaust now, I wish at this point i left the factory exhaust on and just changed the cat and stock muffler

If i were you, to keep the torque up, go with a 2.5-3 inch single pipe system

as far as mufflers its your choice. Dont go with flowmaster, they are loud, annoying and and dont flow very good.

Id suggest magnaflow (great quality and sound) dynomax (good value and sound)

I heard some guys running corsa mufflers and borla...with good results

I love the sound of magnaflows. I have them on my 440 charger and love the sound (once they broke in)

here is what im shooting for with my truck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJOCBq27mXg

skip to 2:20

thats the factory exhaust pipe with mag high flow cat and mag muffler

sounds so good...very jealous of his sound
Very close to what i have but that could be the camera and stuff. I have stock cat and piping size but 4inch outlet tip and 14"magnaflow oval muffler.

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
Very close to what i have but that could be the camera and stuff. I have stock cat and piping size but 4inch outlet tip and 14"magnaflow oval muffler.

got a video of your exhaust. Im trying to find a oem exhaust right now.

I dont want to have a muffler shop do it b/c it always looks like crap compared to MA MOPAR

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
got a video of your exhaust. Im trying to find a oem exhaust right now.

I dont want to have a muffler shop do it b/c it always looks like crap compared to MA MOPAR

Ya Tyler Phelps on Youtube and i have it in the sticky. Not the best camera tho. My exhaust is factory up till the muffler then it's am old flowmaster pipe from a cat-back kit. https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMD3j91Qt1ftovvxtdT1Xdw

OP i will say I've had straight pipe, flowmaster, and magnaflow and i will say i didn't gain any low end from switching from straight to magnaflow. In fact the flowmaster 50 i had was the better muffler from 0-30 depending on rpms. Didn't like the sound tho. The straight through magnaflow design i have flows just like straight pipe but sounds better. Too much down low perfect high up. Flowmaster was the opposite. Perfect flow for down low but choked it higher up. Depends what you use your truck for and what your sound preference is. YouTube is your friend here. Also look at the design of it. Most chambered or baffled mufflers will help down low a bit but not top end and visa versa. I like to pretend mines fast because I'm a dumb kid so i might be a bit partial lol.

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
Ya Tyler Phelps on Youtube and i have it in the sticky. Not the best camera tho. My exhaust is factory up till the muffler then it's am old flowmaster pipe from a cat-back kit. https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMD3j91Qt1ftovvxtdT1Xdw

OP i will say I've had straight pipe, flowmaster, and magnaflow and i will say i didn't gain any low end from switching from straight to magnaflow. In fact the flowmaster 50 i had was the better muffler from 0-30 depending on rpms. Didn't like the sound tho. The straight through magnaflow design i have flows just like straight pipe but sounds better. Too much down low perfect high up. Flowmaster was the opposite. Perfect flow for down low but choked it higher up. Depends what you use your truck for and what your sound preference is. YouTube is your friend here. Also look at the design of it. Most chambered or baffled mufflers will help down low a bit but not top end and visa versa. I like to pretend mines fast because I'm a dumb kid so i might be a bit partial lol.

i looked it up, your 14" magnaflow muffler video is a great video and sounds great. Id love to swap my loud duals for your set up.

Dual exhaust i feel is a dying thing. Id going to swap my exhausst out for a single oem system if i can find one. then put a maggy muffler on just like you did....perfect sound

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
i looked it up, your 14" magnaflow muffler video is a great video and sounds great. Id love to swap my loud duals for your set up.

Dual exhaust i feel is a dying thing. Id going to swap my exhausst out for a single oem system if i can find one. then put a maggy muffler on just like you did....perfect sound

Is it true dual or dual from muffler back?

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
Is it true dual or dual from muffler back?

it goes

motor
factory manifolds
magnaflow hi flow cat
then y pipe right before the rear axle
dual out the back

no muffler at all, just cat. it sounds good at idle or small rev, but its just loud under throttle

but i must say, since i reset the trucks computer and running it on factory programming....it took on a more mellow tone and changed my shift points to OEM spec. Its actually not as bad as it was...but i still want to find the factory single exhaust and just do a maggy mufller like you

OP
OP
SavageChild

SavageChild

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Well, starting with the point about my cat, it was empty when I got it. Completely hollow. Basically serving as a y pipe. Looks like I'll either be getting a 3inch single pipe system or a dual exit heartthrob, since I can get a good deal on one. Hopefully this can help my torque output a little