HELP! 1thing after another w/99 ram tranny. Now wont stay in gear!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2ginns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
99 dodge ram 1500 4x4 5.9l (46re)
Right Now truck is in a parking lot, won't stay in gear, &right before got stopped the "trans temp" light came on... I need to know what now on the tranny is wrong!

I will make this as short/simplified as I can but I figure, with all the headache this tranny has given me piece by piece, I'd better give the run-down from the beginning (though I will only put the major past problems/parts/repairs.

Bought truck Aug 3 (still making payments). In October, tranny started going to hell (1st &2nd gear), totally going out Oct 31st. Replaced the bands (which had totally disintegrated).* Seemed to run good except sometimes wouldn't shift from 2nd to 3rd unless you quickly manually bumped it to Neutral then back to Drive. About 3weeks 2later had to replace the filter AGAIN when it suddenly wouldn't go anywhere when driving home from work. In early December lost Overdrive. Really soon thereafter, it suddenly wouldn't hardly even stay in anything but 1st (sometimes 2nd) on way to work. Changed filter again (but NEVER got overdrive again). Ran really quite good with exception of no overdrive for few weeks (did not run it hard or above 2700rpm at all). Few days before Christmas started slipping so put some non-slip stuff in it. Pittman Arm Seal on PowerSteering went out about Christmas so have been trying to drive it as little as possible. January 20, drove truck to end of drive twice to dump some stuff w/no problem. Stopped about 2/3 way back (40ft) (turned it off) for about 4minutes, started it up &had no gears AT ALL. (I had noticed a whine from torque converter the day or 2before too). Never got it in any gear until took off Valve Body &did the Filter again.Test drove it and had Reverse, 1st, &2nd (2nd was a little rough shifting @first but nothing unexpected) but wouldnt quite shift to 3rd. Drove it to store &back 6-7times (1st/2nd great but no 3rd). Suddenly 1/2 mi from house it just shifted into 3rd. Next store trip shifted into 3rd too . Yesterday,* had to pickup check about 15mi away, pulled out &shifted into 2nd then suddenly tried the crap of going back into 1st. Got it to shift back into 2nd &it* went into 3rd for few miles then 1/4mi after stoplight it wouldn't even stay in 1st. Pull off onto shoulder then it'd finally grab 1st (&usually 2nd too). Go sometimes just another 1/4mi or as much as 3/4mi then lose all gears again until it'd decide to go again. Did this for about 5mi, then it straightened up &even shifted into 3rd for about 5mi. Turned @our 3rd stoplight, got about 1/2+mi &started it again(&as bad if not worse). If I turned it off, it would shift @first when I'd restart it(NO where to pull off street +traffic backed from rollover wreck ahead &it quickly got where the ONLY way I could get it back in gear was to restart it). Right before I got to a parking lot I could finally pull into, the "trans temp" light came on. After a few minutes I also noticed it had leaked a small puddle of fluid(which was no surprise).

P. S. SideNote- No, through ALL of this, the tranny hasn't ever leaked &it is EXTREMELY strong (for when &what gears are working at the time, lol)

Thank you for any suggestions of where to start now. Don't have much money &its our only means of transportation.

mumbles84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
your trans needs to be rebuilt. Don't ignore signs of trans failure my trans slips when cold I don't driive while its cold the bands might have not been adjusted right the band meterial proball wiped out the torq convetor