OBD1 oxygen sensor need to read both banks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nealuss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
I am going to run a custom exhaust on old Clyde soon and plan to cut the dual in-single out cat off completely and run true duals into magnaflow mufflers and have hidden turn downs before the axle. My question is since my 94 only has one O2 sensor and it is in the "Y" of the cat inlet, can I just weld a **** on one pipe or do I need to run a crossover and put the **** there so it can read both banks? Most people have told me it will be fine on one bank but a few have told me it may cause the truck to run lean. Anyone have any experience with this?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
IMO, duals with X-pipe sounds beast, put the O2 in the middle of the X, bam problem solved xD

But really, the problem with running an O2 on only one bank, is the other side is running completely unchecked. The only effect isn't just running lean, there is a whole plethora of possible effects. No offense to those who told you, but anyone who says running true duals with only one O2 sensor wont cause any problems, don't know how modern engine controllers work.

The O2 sensor doesnt only exist to get good fuel economy, or more power. It exists to help with diagnosis, prevent undue catalytic converter damage, damage from improper timing, and many other small things that we take for granted. Why does you car run just as smooth in the winter as the summer with no extra work? Your O2 sensor.

True duals has it's own sound to it, but there is no real performance gain over a proper X-pipe setup. If you only have one O2 true duals will not only kill power and fuel economy, but will fail to alert you to any potential fuel system problems. An O2 sensor can even tell when your fuel pump is going bad before any noticeable symptoms arrive.

Go with an X-pipe setup, it will still sound great, get great flow, and prevent any problems that the PCM might think exist.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
+1 to an x pipe. Sounds better, performs better, reads better. When people say you can run 1 o2 with duals it simply means that it won't throw a code. This is true but i agree with dudeman above