piston ring replacement 5,2 gas gen2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oliver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5,2 V8
hi all,
just comming on this forum, i am from Europe where it is a bit more difficult to get the "right information".
i went to a friend yesterday to have a look on the the pressures on my engine.
This is a ram 1500 V8 magnum 5,2 gas from 1996 ... 238 000 miles.
the initial pressure ration should be between 150-170PSI ... two of them are at 135 and 145 PSI. The problem is located at piston rings.
My question IS ... is it possible to remove the pistons from below ? witch could be my preferred way ? ... (easier).

notice ... if there is already some information or post about that here ... copy paste the adress please and apologise for dual posting about.
CHEERS ! ;-)

OP
OP
Oliver

Oliver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5,2 V8
so .. the idea is ...
draining engine oïl ...
removing the "oïl tank" (apologise for my poor English)
acceeding and desmounting the cylinders

goodtodoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 indy pace truck
Engine
No I would not try that. Pull the whole engine out then start the disassembly.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
No I would not try that. Pull the whole engine out then start the disassembly.

I second this opinion. It would be impossible to do.
I don't think it's even possible to take out the pistons from the bottom because you would have to remove the crank to get it out of the way and they are heavy. Then there would be no way to compress the rings to put the pistons back in from the bottom.
Don't even try it.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
It's been said, but I feel like putting in my two cents. You can get them out the bottom, but they will never go back in the bottom with intact rings. I've rebuilt a handful of gas engines and my fair share of diesels.

135-145psi is not great, but they're not close to being dead cylinders. once they start to drop down around or below 100psi is when they are well and destroyed.