Ram 1500 stalls out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joey 7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Hey guys

I have a situation with mutt 1997 dodge ram 1500. All of a sudden it stalls out on me. It shudders and sputters like I'm running out of gas. I had AutoZone pull codes for me earlier today. They pulled the following: P0441 I then replaced the gas cap but it could be other things regarding this code. The next code they pulled was P0740 which came back as torque converter clutch circuit. I then put in transmission fluid but it could be something else. The last code they pulled was P1757 which came back as governor pressure above 0 PSI when vehicle isn't moving. ??? What's crazy is when I put the truck in 1st or 2nd gear it doesn't stall. Why is that. Please help with any suggestions. Thanks much.

Joey 7

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
P0740 is a very common code in the 46re. It is Always the tcc solenoid in my experience. P1757 is usually but not always a governer pressure sensor. Since you have to pull the pan anyway i recommend replacing your pressure sensor/solenoid and TFT sensor as well.
The reason it doesn't stall in manual low and 2nd is because the manual valve does not permit fluid flow to the tcc valve in these positions. Your stalling is likely tcc chatter from a sticking or shorted tcc solenoid. DO NOT DRIVE IT ANYMORE you'll damage your tcc.

OP
OP
J

joey 7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
stalling

Thank you Rowdy. Do I need a new or rebuilt transmission or just a new solenoid. Thanks Much.

Joey 7

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Speaking of TCC solenoid, where can I find a replacement TCC solenoid? Trans functions like new but I get P1740 code and I'm 90% sure it just needs replaced