trans trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jamesfarris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just rebuilt the trans in my 95 dodge 4x4. its a 46e. I followed the tech manual page for page and adjusted everything as it said. all new seals, clutches etc. now when I put it in reverse it acts like its trying to push a house. it runs hard doesn't spin but as soon as you let off the gas it stops. when I put it in drive, it starts and stays in second. if I shift to 1st and start then shift it to second it will shift hard but wont go any higher than second and if I come to a stop it starts back off in second and wont shift at all. any ideas?????

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Oh man that sucks. I've never rebuilt any transmission at all. Over on youtube there is a guy that teaches you how to rebuild a 46RE. The videos are pretty long but VERY detailed. He shows every step of disassembly and how to remove the various snap rings, which ones require a press. I don't think I've ever seen a more detailed video like this. If I ever have to rebuild mine I think I could do it by watching these videos.
The first video is called Chrysler 46RE Class part 1.

Last edited:

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Sounds like the bands have been improperly adjusted. Its much easier to adjust them with the pan off. You want the bands to just barely to be not touching the ring gear or even a few papers width away. I think dapepper has said on the front band you want to tighten it to spec with an in-lbs wrench then 2 7/8 turns back.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
That's spec yes Dudeman.

95 will be 46rH. If you put an RE in an RH truck you'll have issues as the truck wont have pcm controls the RE needs. Not saying this is your issue, i assumed it was just a nomenclature typo or something but it's worth mentioning.

Assuming that's good, what all did you do with the valvebody? Valvebodies are finicky little ******* sometimes and are where these type of problems USUALLY originate

OP
OP
J

jamesfarris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
okay, I just went out and got time to readjust the bands. now, reverse works great. but in drive it wont shift. it starts in second and stays in second. if I manualy shift it, it works fine. it will shift (manually) from first to second, second to drive. but starting in drive, it starts in second and stays there. any ideas? valve body?

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It sounds like your your governor is sticking, all it takes is a tiny speck of crud in the governor

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Unfortunately the only way to clean it, or make sure it is assembled correctly is to pull the t-case, remove the O.D. unit.
If it is just a piece of debris in it and it is stuck, there is an old trick to try first, but it aint for the faint of heart :)

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Get truck above 65mph, put the gear shifter into park for 5-10 seconds, then back to drive.
The park pawl will not actually engage the park gear at that speed, it will just ratchet/bounce off the gear, you will feel a grinding sensation on the gear lever.
Only do this at highway speed, do not hesitate going through reverse, the older RH trannies do not have a reverse block and will engage reverse at highway speed, very bad.
The reason this sometimes works is because the governor is bolted to the park gear, the vibration will many times dislodge the debris.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This will only work if you have an 95 or older with a mechanical governor