Transmission swap-possible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
So I am most likely going to be getting a junker/economicaly vehicle pretty soon and putting the truck on standby in a storage lot or something.

So just trying to do some curious research since I will now have a 2nd car to drive around while I work on the truck since it wont be my DD.

Is a 5 or 6 speed tranny (standard) at all possible?

Its a 2wd, so I think that would offer more room than a 4wd but I am still not sure and wanted to ask your thoughts.

Thanks

fonzyn75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Oh yeah and a bad ass swap at that! you would need a 5 speed trans, clutch kit, ***** cylinder with master cylinder, possibly a drive shaft, and some petals. Thats all the parts you should need that i know of a few interior pieces could be changed for a factory look

And its basically pretty straight forward once you get past cutting a hole in the floor lol

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Oh yeah and a bad ass swap at that! you would need a 5 speed trans, clutch kit, ***** cylinder with master cylinder, possibly a drive shaft, and some petals. Thats all the parts you should need that i know of a few interior pieces could be changed for a factory look

And its basically pretty straight forward once you get past cutting a hole in the floor lol

really? thats pretty awesome lol I know that would be way better for the track and gas mileage/life too!

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
will the computer still be looking for signs of the auto?

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
good question....I'm not sure..

Tapatalk Addict

fonzyn75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I dont think it would bc i know some ppl have done it with second gen gas trucks that never changed the comp.

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
really?? interesting indeed

Tapatalk Addict

eryk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360
so im just about to do the conversion in my truck, i built a 5.9l motor and bought an nv4500 with all the interior parts and redid fluid, clutch and flywheel. basically once you have the transmission you will need a different driveshaft because the lengths do vary. Any machine shop should have the measurement on file and you can either have one machined to size(~$150) or built from scratch(~$350). Next you dont need it but i recommend is a custom tune from hemi fever because if you dont reprogram the truck, it is in limp mode and it runs like crap, its usable but runs really bad. Next there is and adapter on the transmission for your reverse lights, you can buy the reverse light adapter from napa, but to be honest the price and part number escapes me. now if you are serious i would recommend redoing the clutch and flywheel while you are in there because nobody likes pulling transmissions. Also depending whether you have the 5.2 318 or the 5.9 360 will depend on the kind of transmission you should get. If you have the 5.2 318 the nv3500 is a perfect matchup and can withstand the torque and horsepower it puts out, if you have the 5.9 360 you will have to find and nv4500 because the nv3500 cant really withstand the power of a 360 especially if you have any mods, but keep in mind finding a v8 nv4500 setup is extremely rare because they only came in the light duty 2500's. I hope this helps any other questions please feel free to ask.

eryk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360
need a 5 speed trans, clutch kit, ***** cylinder with master cylinder, and some petals.

you will need this stuff too and as for the hole in the floor if you buy a parts truck you can make a template. to be honest if you buy a parts truck you will be able to get all the things you want, part out the rest and then scrap it. That will basically pay for the transmission swap. Ps the 6 speed only came in the nv5600 and its almost as bad as an automatic.