transmission unusual shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tuttledylan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 magnum
Not sure where to post this but this seemed like the most logical place. my transmission has a problem. it drives forward and goes into reverse. but when i start out in drive it wont shift out of first unless i accelerate super slow and go easy and it will shift at about 2k. but under normal or any other acceleration it will shift if i'm on the gas at about 4k or i have to let off the gas to shift. then it's in second and once i get to the point where it's supposed to shift into 3rd, it will shift back and forth between 2nd and 3rd for a bit at around 25 or 30mph. and theres no problem shifting into overdrive and once i'm in overdrive theres no problem. there is no slipping just shifting problems. its a 96 with the 318 automatic. thanks in advance with any advice.

Last edited:

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i have had a similar issue with a dodge work van that turned out to be the cat converter being clogged. When we took out the o2 sensor in front it allowed enough relief and would shift fine. replace cat and worked fine since. Might wanna start there.

Hotroder383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 or 5.2 which ever you want
Check your TV cable also. There is a thread on here some where on how to do that. Sorry not very good at the search on here myself.

OP
OP
T

tuttledylan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 magnum
Well i've been reading and looking around and i think it might be the governor pressure solenoid and sensor. it looks very simple to change but i was wondering if there was a preferred vendor through this forum that i can get these parts for a little bit cheaper. i'm kind of cash restricted at the point and would like to get this issue straight. thanks