Tuning help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
So I've done a fair amount of custom tuning in the past, mostly GM. I am very interested in getting some software to tune my truck but have had no luck finding a program that supports 96 and 97 JTEC ISO. Someone please tell me there is something.
I'm not a fan of blanket tunes nor do I let anyone work on my truck and that includes the PCM. I have had good luck with EFI Live and HPtuner but neither seem to do old Chrysler.

aofarrell2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L (MDS)
Unfortunately there are no good options currently available to tune our trucks ourselves.

HPTuners is actually working on support for JTEC PCM's, which is what your truck probably has. However it is still in beta stage and I doubt it will be released anytime soon. I absolutely do NOT recommend using the software in beta stage, especially not on a 1996.

Otherwise you are pretty much stuck with blanket tuners. Some places like Hemifever tuning can write a custom tune, however, it's not the same as doing it yourself, not to mention it is not cheap.

Such things as GForce chips and Jet chips are worthless.

1996 also happens to be a difficult year to tune as Dodge was moving to OBD2. Early 1996 PCMs are actually a hybrid between the SBEC2 OBD1 PCM used 1994-1995 and the JTEC PCM, which was the first OBD2 computer for Dodge trucks. I also do NOT recommend using SCT to tune early 1996 PCMs. To tell if you have a early 1996, count the number of upstream oxygen sensors you have. If you only have ONE upstream, then it is a early 1996 model and will have the hybrid PCM.

So unfortunately there just aren't really any options at this point in time to tune it yourself.

I have been involved in several attempts to reverse engineer the JTEC PCM but as of right now there is nothing going on, mostly due to time and resource limitations.

Personally I converted to a carburetor as I could tune it myself then and have complete control. If you are interested in this route feel free to PM me.

There is also the option of using a MegaSquirt controller, but that'll take a LOT of time, but it will give you complete control of tuning your engine. PM me for more information about it.

Hope this helps!

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know this doesn't apply to obd1 controlled engines, only obd2 so if you have a 96 it won't work. But hemifever offers a program with which you can write your own tunes. I haven't done very much research on it but I imagine it would be similar to mega squirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
rowdyram

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
I would never go carb and I have the JTEC iso 9141 which is obd2 just not vpw like 97 and later. What is this hemifever program called?
I found the advantage 3 system on summit but it appears to not include a pass through? If this is true does anyone know if you can just use any j2534?

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I would like to take this post and thank Mr. aofarrell2 for responding to my email on this subject and posting in this thread. He is about the best I know for info about the workings of these pcm's and cracking them.

94-96 are the best years for the Mopar performance pcm's, yes i have one and love it.

Last edited:

aofarrell2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L (MDS)
Hemifever does offer a tool to custom write SCT tunes for these Ram trucks, and it may be a good option for many people.

SCT still isn't the same as a native tuning software, but as I said that may be a viable option for many at the moment.

I still do not recommend using a tuner on the early 1996 hybrid PCMs.

As far as using a J2534, it is simply a OBD2 communications protocol. It in and of itself offers no tuning capabilities, it simply is a protocol used to communicate with the PCM and also flashes the binary programming files (aka the flash files) to the PCM.

In order to be able to use a J2534 flashing tool to be able to flash custom tunes to these trucks, you would have to crack the binary files. First off these are hard to come by now that Chrysler has locked down access to their flashes. This could be overcome by reading existing PCMs but that can't be done through the ODB2 port, it would have to be done by directly reading the EEPROM off of the actual computer board. Cracking the actual binary file isn't very difficult.

Assuming you cracked the binary code, then you have the next problem of once you have written your custom binary files, getting it to pass the verification and checks built into these PCMs. That is the difficult part.

Also I should mention that J2534 flashing is a slow process on these trucks.

The SCT Advantage 3 on Summit Racing appears to be the same thing that Hemifever is selling as a custom tuning program.

OP
OP
rowdyram

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Thanks a bunch for the link. I think I'm gonna give that a try, though that is really expensive compared to most software I've used.
Ya the Mopar performance PCM is nice but doesn't come close to a custom tune
Thanks for all that info aoferrell
Wasn't sure if any tuning software would allow the use of a generic 2534 device rather than buying they're tuner.
You seem to be very knowledgeable on this stuff and merc mentioned you trying to crack these pcms if I by chance got you a bin file for the most recent flash could you get anywhere with it?

Last edited:

aofarrell2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L (MDS)
Sooo I know this thread is from a VERY long time ago. But in case anyone else sees this on a Google search, yes if I had a BIN file I could very likely work with it. It is time consuming but not horribly difficult to pull tables from a good dump. Getting the BIN back to the PCM would be a different story, but chances are that if you are able to read the EEPROM to get a BIN dump you can write to it as well (translate: write the EEPROM off the PCM/using a EEPROM burner).

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Sooo I know this thread is from a VERY long time ago. But in case anyone else sees this on a Google search, yes if I had a BIN file I could very likely work with it. It is time consuming but not horribly difficult to pull tables from a good dump. Getting the BIN back to the PCM would be a different story, but chances are that if you are able to read the EEPROM to get a BIN dump you can write to it as well (translate: write the EEPROM off the PCM/using a EEPROM burner).

I actually have the advantage software for SCT. Little bit complicated for most but with prior tuning experience a guy would be at a major advantage simply for understanding the scalar values and effects of such things