valve stem leak??? and plenum leak??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wmkfisher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 magnum
So I have an 02 1500 4.7, with a code of p0305 cylinder 5 misfire, I have oil on the threads down to the tip forming a drop and the SOB is just billowing smoke on start, white with a blue tint, not loosing coolant and the oil doesn't look contaminated, so is it the right direction to just go with the valve/ stem seals, and it sounds like there is a an air leak somewhere due to the awful roar that is produced when I even slightly push the throttle, doesn't have it at idle though.

thanks in advance will most likely post pictures of the spark plug sometime tonight once I get back at it.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Before you start pulling anything apart. Compression test the bad cylinder and two good ones. Note the compression of all of them. Then on the bad cylinder, put a couple drops of oil in the cylinder, then compression test. If your pressure jumps by more than 8ish PSI the second test, i'd suspect piston ring damage. If the pressure doesn't really change, then its most likely valve stem guides.

As for the roaring. Start it up, goto the engine bay, manually open the throttle with your hand (just turn the throttle body, it will only go one way). If there is a giant amount of air with the roar, or the sound is coming from the radiator fan, your fan clutch is bad.

Vacuum leaks rarely roar.