Water Pump going out!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BustedMJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Well my Water Pump is about to go out. I do have a new one ready to install. I also have a 160 degree thermostat too. To keep the motor cooler. My question is. How hard will this be and how long? I just want an estimate. I would like to know from someone who has done it before. 5.2L 318.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I'm wondering why the 160 as well.
Not counting the time it took me because of a broken bolt in my thermostat housing, it took me about 3 hours with a radiator flush. I highly suggest replacing the little bypass hose while you're in there to save some possible heartache down the road

Hotroder383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 or 5.2 which ever you want
I agree why a 160? I have a 180 and to be honest I have noticed more ping from the motor since. Even if your running an SCT or Superchips you shouldn't really run that low.
As far as how hard it will be, it's not really. Good set of hand tools, engine cleaner and a good 5 or 6 hours if you never done it before. BUY A CHILTON ! If you dont have alot of wrench experanice buy a book to show you step by step. My one bit of advice CLEAN every mateing surface good! Dirty, pitied metal will not seal very well and you'll find yourself taking it all back apart because it leaks. O and replace the heater bypass hose while your in there.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Well I can't say that I have actually pulled my water pump but have torn down the motor to be able to a couple times. I would allow a day tops. You have to pull the entire accessory bracket. AC has to come off. But it can be unbolted and set aside without disconnecting the lines. Alternator has to come off. Power steering pump has to come off. Then the bracket that holds it all in place. Remove the fan and clutch. <<<This is a challenge in its self. Requires a special tool. Then finally unbolt and change. The thing that concerns me is the fact that you are wanting to use a 160 T-stat. I have a feeling that if you use that you will get a check engine light for poor warmup.

iSlacker816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 (360ci) Magnum
Do not put a 160 or even a 180 t stat in. Replace it with a factory temp t stat!

OP
OP
B

BustedMJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Well I took back the 160 thermostat. And got the 192 Thermostat. And I know how to turn wrenches and tear the motor down. Just trying to see how long it should be.

Last edited:

Viper21700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
98 CTD 12 Valve- Half the valves, twice the fun
one of the bigest pains in the butt is getting the thread on clutch fan loose. I had a 99 Dakota with the 5.2 and that stupid clutch fan took me the better part of an hour to break loose. Other than that, if you pull the radiator and support out its a quick 2-3 hour job. Leave it in, the job gets a bit longer, but with it out, you can really flush the crud out of it.

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
Do not put a 160 or even a 180 t stat in. Replace it with a factory temp t stat!

i dissagree. 180 is fine. motor runs cooler. in theory better performance. and a 160 will give you a check engine light. ask me how i know.lol

infinite_one

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
160 is a little cold for it

Sent from my iPhone, please disregard grammatical errors.