Intermittent parking light problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Alright so, recently I've been having some issues with my lights. I have many wiring modifications and splices and after market lights, so that makes this a bit more tricky. My turn signal (switchback LED) on the drivers side has intermittently had some of its LEDs going out briefly/flickering. I'm willing to rule that as cheap eBay lights, but it may be connected. I only notice this when the engine is running. I have led cab lights (these are good LEDs, from SBL) that when I turn them on, are very dim and flicker. When I pull voltage from my battery, I.e. turning on my HIDs or my amp pulling power, they get very dim or even turn off completely.
eaf04d8c35a8d1edf6fa4335009546e9.jpg
After I drive for a while, they return to normal. For comparison:
44461b68fb0ff64de4f834f943cd9710.jpg
all five act the same, none seem to differ from the other.
I revved up my engine briefly, and it did seem to make some of a difference.
I even noticed one of my LED tag lights flickering briefly (driver side).
I've had a fog light going out (driver side) but I believe that is from a loose HID connection.

Now my initial though was a bad connection for my parking lights. Or maybe a bad ground. I'll start looking into these when I can put it in my basement to get out of the cold. But another thing that could be a possibility is the CTM. Now I've had issues with my CTM before, and there is a TSB that applies to my CTM to replace it. I also noticed one time my interior dinger was off time/going out.

I'm looking for suggestions/opinions on what my problem is. Any help is appreciated

OP
OP
BlackMagnum2000

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Update: CTM does not see to be the issue. Reset it, no difference. Also, looking online the CTM doesn't even control the lights. Doesn't explain my dinger, but I'm not as concerned about that. Only happened once.
Checked the fuses associated with the lights, nothing.
However I did tap my headlight switch, cab lights flickering. Loose connection. I'll pull that off tomorrow

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
I could be wrong, but maybe you are pulling to much power for all of those accessories to be running at once? What do you think?

Your alternator may not be able to provide enough power.
Maybe you could add in a capasitor (can't spell or google) or an additional battery?

OP
OP
BlackMagnum2000

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I could be wrong, but maybe you are pulling to much power for all of those accessories to be running at once? What do you think?

Your alternator may not be able to provide enough power.
Maybe you could add in a capasitor (can't spell or google) or an additional battery?

This came across my mind, but most of the extra lights are LEDs, and draw very little power. I'm fairly certain the problem is in that connection, as I said I saw the lights flicker when I tapped on my headlight switch. At one point it was fully fixed

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
The headlight switch will be a good place to check, our 2000s aren't prone to those problems with them are they?

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
definitely keep me updated with what you find out. What kind of bang do you have in the truck?

OP
OP
BlackMagnum2000

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Cab lights fixed. Found a loose connection behind the switch where I spliced it.
Fog light seems to be acting fine now. No longer is the connection loose.
No issues with the interior dinger as of yet .
Found a loose connection at my tag light, it's working normally now.
And my switchback.. I'll assume that's cheap parts. Already have my SBL ones I just need to get around to doing that.
All is well now
definitely keep me updated with what you find out. What kind of bang do you have in the truck?
Bang..?

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
Bang like a boom stick(gun)! Hah, I meant what kind of amp/ Subs head unit are you running.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ah lol. Kenwood head unit, Kenwood 1800 watt class D amp, going to two Rockford Fosgate Punch series 10"s

Rockford ftw! Lol the only stickers I have on my truck besides my parking decal and sport vinyls are two red Rockford stickers in my two quarter windows along the bottom edge. And I hate stickers if that means anything.