Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 2nd Gen : 1994 - 2002 > Audio & Electronics

Audio & Electronics

Specific question about infinity rewire

This is a discussion on Specific question about infinity rewire within the Audio & Electronics forums, part of the 2nd Gen : 1994 - 2002 category!
OK guys so I had installed new head unit and speakers well I'm a little disappointed with the sound quality ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dudeman2009

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2016, 08:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2001
Engine: 360 v8
Default Specific question about infinity rewire
OK guys so I had installed new head unit and speakers well I'm a little disappointed with the sound quality due to rewireing the infinity amps on the aftermarket speakers. So I'm trying to rewire the head unit straight to all the speakers. Is this the right way to do it. Just straight from the head unit to the speakers?

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
esiegel91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2001 1500 Sport with 3/4 ton spring pack
Engine: Magnum 360
Yes, go straight from the speaker out wires from the radio harness to the speakers, ensure than positive goes to positive and ground to ground. Also, make sure you get the correct pairs together, the factory wiring is kind of strange.
dudeman2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

So rather than splicing into the metra radio harness, I'm splicing into the Dodge harness. Is that what I'm gathering?
Old 08-18-2016, 10:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2001 1500 Sport with 3/4 ton spring pack
Engine: Magnum 360
It depends on what you want to do. You are changing it from factory at this point, so its up to you where you want that change to be. My personal opinion is to leave the factory connectors alone, just use the adaptor. In the case that you are running your own wire to the speakers, splice into the metra harness and leave the dodge harness stock. Everything is better in the long run (repair wise) stock.

What I would do, is goto the door panel speakers where all the speaker hookups are, and bypass the amp. Using the wire in the door that originally went to the amp, just hook it straight to the speaker.

Ex. On the front left door. The wires coming from the radio for the front left door speaker, will be dark green+ and brown/red-. You would hook those two wires directly to your front left door speaker (splice in the front left tweeter as well, it will work just fine)
For the rear left speaker, you would take the brown/light blue- and brown/yellow+ in the front left door and splice them into the (4 Door) brown/light blue- and brown/yellow+ (2 Door) white/dark green- and white/violet+.

That way you don't dink around with the factory dash harness, and any time you want to remove your radio to sell the truck, you can go buy a cheap $40 bit with the adapter, and plug it right in no problem. Since you have the infinity system and are removing the amps, do not hook up the light green wire on the factory harness. Do not cut the factory harness, just cut the metra harness if it does infact power that wire. Otherwise the case may arise down the road that the now disconnected wire hanging in the door shorts to ground and blows the fuse.
V10so_utah likes this.
dudeman2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Awesome thanks man! I'm doing it tonight