2001 RAM 1500 brake light fuse - where is it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dalewheat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Hello, forum folk!

Just bought a 2001 Ram 1500 and the brake lights don't work. The turn signals, hazard and tail lights all work fine, as do the back-up lights.

I started with the bulbs, but they're all burning brightly on both filaments. The turn signals and hazard use the same filament as the brake lights should.

I tested the brake light switch and it's working perfectly.

I measured the voltage to the brake light switch and there doesn't seem to be any 12V coming to pin 6 (or any other pins), so I'm working 'upstream' from there.

According to the service manual wiring diagram, there's a 20A fuse (Fuse 5) in the "power distribution center". This is where I'm boggled.

I can find the power distribution center (it's right next to the battery under the hood), but the "ENGINE INLINE" area where Fuse 5 lives is just a big wiring harness with a bolt in the middle.

Do I have to remove the bolt and unplug that entire wiring harness to access Fuse 5? Where is it?

My last Dodge was a Dart, so it's been awhile. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Dale Wheat

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
welcome to Ram Forum. Once of our second Gen guys should see this and can hopefully help you out.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Welcome to the site.

Is this the fuse block your looking at? Do you have a pic of the bolt/wiring mess your talking about?
2009-08-15_193949_pdc.gif

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Check in the cab. There should be 2 fuse blocks. One on the drivers side and one under the hood. I think its the one in the cab. Open your drivers door and look at the side of the dash. You should see a removeable panel. Bet its in there.

Good luck and welcome to the site!

Sent from my liberty x!

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Yeah that too^^^

OP
OP
D

dalewheat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Solved!

OK, thanks, everyone. I was looking at that picture of the power distribution center and seeing the wire bundle at the top and not the actual fuse location on the left side. So it was under the hood the whole time.

D'oh!

I swapped out the 20A hazard fuse and that solved the problem. A trip to the auto parts store and I have a full complement of fuses again, plus working brake lights.

Oh, and it passed inspection to boot! :D

Dale

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Wahoo congrats!

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Good glad ya found it. Those fuse maps can be confusing. They need and arrow that says top. lol