Changing transmission fluid- flush or drain?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diverjer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My Ram 1500 has 166,000 and I am sure the fluid has never been changed. I bought this truck on Oct 2 and for the most part all is running good. Trans is a little slow shifting when cold. Changed oil and filter. Changed Dist cap, rotor, plugs and wires. I am positive they were the originals. Also, spent time cleaning throttle body, it was nasty.

I am thinking of just dropping the tran pan, put in new filter, adjust rear bands, clean pan and reassemble. Also adjust front bands which can be done easy enough.

Then it has been mention I should go get a power flush, which I understand gets all the fluid replaced. But it seems to me it will also circulate a lot of gunk around that would normally not be traveling around in the transmission. That could cause problems.

Question is should a filter, clean pan and band adjustment be enough or is there a compelling reason to have a flush done?

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IMO, I would simply do the drain and fill with a new filter. If it's never been flushed as far as you know, doing a power flush could lead to troubles.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I wouldn't do the flush but would suggest removing and cleanig (or completely removing) the check valve up by the radiator and flushing your cooler and lines if your tuck has one.

OP
OP
diverjer

diverjer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lot of good ideas and kind of goes with what i was thinking about flushing. I had someone suggest putting a plug in pan and draining every so often for awhile, don't know how to do that, perhaps they have kits to drill, tap and put in plug.

One time I let some fluid pump out of the return line, but that may not be good idea.

How would I flush cooler lines, use air compressor, I don't have a power flusher.

OP
OP
diverjer

diverjer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IMO, I would simply do the drain and fill with a new filter. If it's never been flushed as far as you know, doing a power flush could lead to troubles.

You think I should leave the band adjustments alone?

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I had my trans in my Gen2 replaced, the installer wouldn't even honor the lifetime warranty unless I had the check valve deleted. I also had them throw in an aftermarket trans cooler. I too, would highly suggest deleting the check valve too.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You think I should leave the band adjustments alone?

IDK really, most the guys I have heard doing them, experience problems after. But I will assume, that they were messing with something that they really had no experience in doing.

Also, to save you a little money, if you have an Advance Auto Parts near you, their brand of ATF+4 is rebranded Valvoline ATF+4...buy it...

nim81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
last time I adjusted the bands on a 46re, the mutherf'r went out. had to rebuild it. followed all directions to a t, and double checked all adjustments down to the inch pound

OP
OP
diverjer

diverjer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have never adjusted bands, but it seems simple if you have a good torque wrench. Basically loosen lock-nut, lubricate area, torque to specs, back off the number of turns per specs, tighten lock-nut and be sure and hold adjustment screw so it don't tighten as you tighten the locknut.

On mine its torque front 72 inch lb, then back off 2 7/8 turns. Rear same torque, but only back off two turns. I think what sounds key is to hold that adjustment screw so it don't turn while tightening locknut.

Here is a stupid question, what is deleting the check valve. I know what a check valve does only allows fluid to go one direction, I am assuming there is a check valve that some suggest be removed. Not replaced, but removed.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have never adjusted bands, but it seems simple if you have a good torque wrench. Basically loosen lock-nut, lubricate area, torque to specs, back off the number of turns per specs, tighten lock-nut and be sure and hold adjustment screw so it don't tighten as you tighten the locknut.

On mine its torque front 72 inch lb, then back off 2 7/8 turns. Rear same torque, but only back off two turns. I think what sounds key is to hold that adjustment screw so it don't turn while tightening locknut.

Here is a stupid question, what is deleting the check valve. I know what a check valve does only allows fluid to go one direction, I am assuming there is a check valve that some suggest be removed. Not replaced, but removed.

I have a pic of it in my photobucket album...give me a few mins to find it and I'll post it up,

OP
OP
diverjer

diverjer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay thanks, here is what mine looks like, I always wondered why it is so greasy, well for the three weeks I have had it. I don't see a clip on where hooks to radiator, there is a similar connection on the hose below that has a clip, guess i got a lot to learn on these Dodges. Last Dodge i had was a 1957, with a push button auto tran. Was like a tank- great car. So that is a return hose?

DSC00588.jpg

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, I believe so...the check valve keeps fluid from draining out of the torque converter...as far as I know. But it gets caked up with clutch crap and debris, thus overheating the transmission.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I can attest to a well maintained trans. In mine I have it serviced annually. I have the pan dropped, fluid changed, Filter changed, and bands tightened. They also check the CAD and the Diff Fluid while it's up in the air. Lucky for me these guys are dodge guys and know all about the trans. MY truck has always shifted firm and doesn't get overly hot.

But in your case I will agree that the check valve should probably go mia. Get a new filter and fluid. Bands could go either way.

OP
OP
diverjer

diverjer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
These two transmission hoses have what looks like different attachments to tubing. The top greasy one is the one with a check valve and I believe is coming from transmission and does go in bottom of radiator, the clean hose (well not greasy) comes from cooler behind A/C condenser. The top greasy connection looks like what I have seen on this forum, the bottom one looks like it would take a different tool to release. I am going to replace this hose and was going to disconnect both and use compressor to gently blow out cooler between radiator and condenser. Is this cooler an add on or is this what Dodge has from factory? There is line going in bottom of radiator, comes out top of radiator into cooler behind condenser, then back in engine compartment to transmission. Also I am thinking I will put in drain plug and drain out several times over a month.

DSC00593.jpg

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is what Dodge installed from the factory. IDK if I'd be putting compressed air in it though. To get those connections off, you simply need one of the cheap quick disconnect tools, available at any parts store.

OP
OP
diverjer

diverjer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay, thanks. I understood the top greasy one and how the quick disconnect slides in there and it pulls off. That bottom one looks like that clip is in the way, like it is a different setup.