Fuel pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luke(MI)

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Chevy Blazer
Engine
4.3l Vortec V6
Yesterday, I drove over to a friends house maybe 5 miles away, to pick him up, pulled in and shut off the truck. We where ther for maybe 30 mins, went back out to the truck, and his little bro wanted to hear it so I tried to start it, would not fire. I toutched the gas a little bit and it wanted to fire but wouldnt start, then it caught and took off. Could this be the fuel pump going? if so, how hard it it to swap out and how much would a pump cost?

jhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
couldnt say for sure if its the pump next time it doesnt want to start listen for the pump to kick in if it doesnt then its the pump my 99 went out bought 6 years ago banged on the tank for few weeks til i had the money to buy a pump it was i wana say 280 not hard to change if tank is low on gas just drop tank and replace the pump, put tank back in half hour 45 min to do if bolts not all rusted up

RamTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dakota SXT
Engine
3.7L
It could be a PCM, wiring, or relay problem as well. You need to verify a loss of fuel pressure/volume with a gauge first and then check for power and a ground at the pump connector. If it checks good and you have no pressure, then you know your pump is shot.

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
Yesterday, I drove over to a friends house maybe 5 miles away, to pick him up, pulled in and shut off the truck. We where ther for maybe 30 mins, went back out to the truck, and his little bro wanted to hear it so I tried to start it, would not fire. I toutched the gas a little bit and it wanted to fire but wouldnt start, then it caught and took off. Could this be the fuel pump going? if so, how hard it it to swap out and how much would a pump cost?
I have the same problem with my 99 1500 5.2. If it sits for no more than maybe 15 mins, it will fire right up. Anything after that it gives me a hard time.
One night i was puttin gas in it and went to square it off at 52.00 or so, and before i got it there the gas started comin out of the top of the tank itself in the same area of the fuel pump. Thats what i think my problem is. Hopin to get it fixed within the next week or so at the local shop bc i dont have the time to do it. If i do, Ill let you know how much it was to fix...