Headlights turned off going to work... but came back?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LEGION19D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Driving down the highway, bam! No headlights. Tried flicking hi/low beams, nothing. Parking lights still glowing yellow. Hit the light knob, pulled it out, nothing. Did it again, nothing, then bam. Headlights. Happened twice, but the second time when I turned the lights "off" then back on they actually came on. Loose wire somewhere? Looking for an idea on where to start.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I would start by trying to reproduce the problem. Intermittent electrical problems are the absolute worst to find.

Most likely its your headlamp switch, that is the most common source for lighting problems in these trucks.

Mohpar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
It could also be a ground? Like dudeman said, it's going to be tough to find electrical problems. Let us know

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
you don't say what year, what model, what mods. On older trucks, with corroded terminals, upgraded headlights drawing more power, the wires and headlight switch can overheat, tripping the cicuit breaker built into the headlight switch. When the switch cools down, the breaker resets, headlights come back on.