Heater Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hauzer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, this is my first post and I'm in need of some advice.

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram with the 5.9L and my heater doesn't work well at all. My temp gauge sits in between 130 and 210 which seems low to me. I just changed the thermostat tonight and it did nothing for me. After I was done, I went to go burp the system and noticed the radiator cap wasn't even hot, and the lower radiator hose had pieces of ice in it.. I'm up here in Maine and it was about 17 degrees F today. The upper radiator hose was hot though. Do you think I have too much water in the antifreeze mix which is causing my heater to suffer from insufficient coolant flow? I also noticed some gurgling coming from under my dash and I'm pretty sure that's from the heater core. What should I do?

Any help would be appreciated!!
-Hauzer

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram with the 5.9L and my heater doesn't work well at all. My temp gauge sits in between 130 and 210 which seems low to me. I just changed the thermostat tonight and it did nothing for me. After I was done, I went to go burp the system and noticed the radiator cap wasn't even hot, and the lower radiator hose had pieces of ice in it.. I'm up here in Maine and it was about 17 degrees F today. The upper radiator hose was hot though. Do you think I have too much water in the antifreeze mix which is causing my heater to suffer from insufficient coolant flow? I also noticed some gurgling coming from under my dash and I'm pretty sure that's from the heater core. What should I do?

-Hauzer
Maybe your rad is shot..? Did you drain the whole coolant system and maybe try flushin it also? Your temp should be closer to 210 when warmed up, at like 195.

OP
OP
H

Hauzer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe your rad is shot..? Did you drain the whole coolant system and maybe try flushin it also? Your temp should be closer to 210 when warmed up, at like 195.

I was thinking it could be my radiator too since the cap stays cold even after running the truck for a while. Couldn't that create a potential problem by having too much pressure in the radiator and no where for it to flow? I just bought the truck a few months ago and have been running it like this. Didn't do a flush because the coolant looked new..

What's the best way to test to see if the radiator is clogged? Run water from a hose through it?

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
I was thinking it could be my radiator too since the cap stays cold even after running the truck for a while. Couldn't that create a potential problem by having too much pressure in the radiator and no where for it to flow? I just bought the truck a few months ago and have been running it like this. Didn't do a flush because the coolant looked new..

What's the best way to test to see if the radiator is clogged? Run water from a hose through it?
It could also be the cap, sometimes they dont hold a good seal and the cooling system wont pressurize. Id try to take off both the upper and lower rad hoses at the radiator, and take a garden hose or some sort of container and pour water down the top. If its not clogged, it should run through and out the lower rad hose connection. If not, you prob have a bad radiator. However, if it does flow through, you could try to put a new cap on and see what happens then.

OP
OP
H

Hauzer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It could also be the cap, sometimes they dont hold a good seal and the cooling system wont pressurize. Id try to take off both the upper and lower rad hoses at the radiator, and take a garden hose or some sort of container and pour water down the top. If its not clogged, it should run through and out the lower rad hose connection. If not, you prob have a bad radiator. However, if it does flow through, you could try to put a new cap on and see what happens then.

Thanks! I really appreciate your help, I'll try this.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9

-Hauzer

First...did you test your antifreeze for proper mix? A 60/40 mix whould be good to at least -30f My guess is your radiator is froze.
Once you've gotten everything toasty and warm (like your heater hoses) and you still don't have cab heat, there are orther options. Hopefully your whole system isn't froze.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I agree with what has already been posted, to add these truck are notorious for air locks in the cooling system. Some find it helps to put the pass side tire up on a ramp run it and it will help burp the air out out of the system.

OP
OP
H

Hauzer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here's a picture of my temp gauge after full warm up. How's this look to you guys?

image_zps89f28cd6.jpg

99RamSport360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum 360
Thats exactly what mine looks like, and I just replaced the t-stat and water pump and flushed the radiator, so it looks fine to me