Heres a stump. Tranny?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xxgregxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
2wd 1500 127k miles. Alright when i put my pickup into gear it shifts into drive just fine and still has the ability to move but it feels like im towing something or the brakes are catching. No worries i did my own troubleshooting. I replaced the front hubs wheel bearings and brake pads checked the rear drums jacked up the rear both tires put it in neutral and rotated the tires individually and together and theres no catch. When its cold it runs better but when it warms up i can let go of the throttle and itll basiaclly slow to its own stop. When driving under power it sounds fine and when coasting or braking it makes an insistent clunking sound. Governer solenoid has been replaced. But i still get a hard code saying bad pressure and the fluid has been changed with a flush. The fluid smells burnt to me but not to anybody else (3 other opinions) and its still bright red with no discoloration. Anybody and i mean anybody have an idea what it is?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Shifts 1, 2, 3, OD fine? What about going down? OD, 3, 2, 1? Sounds almost like what happens if you put it in 1st gear, get up to lime 40mph, and take your foot off the gas

OP
OP
X

Xxgregxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
From what i can tell it shifts just fine havent had it faster than 50 mph. Itll go into od but then bog down and shift down literally like i was towing something. I dont get it at all. Might be easier to record a video lol

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Almost sounds as if it's in lockup from the start.

Do the RPMs go up or nah?

OP
OP
X

Xxgregxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Yup engine responds to throttle just fine. Theres been once or twice it revved up and down while on the throttle like limp mode but that was most likely due to running out of gas. It had some old gas in it i was trying to burn off. Hasnt done it since filling with premium.

OP
OP
X

Xxgregxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
No idea right now not currently available to put my scanner on it. Not sure if made clear before but it runs fine when cold but afyer a few minutes locks up in drive but works fine in reverse. When cold shifts through all gears just fine

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
No idea right now not currently available to put my scanner on it. Not sure if made clear before but it runs fine when cold but afyer a few minutes locks up in drive but works fine in reverse. When cold shifts through all gears just fine

Do the key trick and cross reference it on here.
Key on, key off. 3 times within 5 seconds. If your truck has the digital odometer it'll read the code there.

OP
OP
X

Xxgregxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Wellthis is weird. The key trick didnt work and my obd scanner didnt pick up any codes but my check engine light is on. Even after clearing it it came back on after a start up but nologged codes. Hell theres not even anything in historic codes.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Did the key trick say DONE in the odometer? If it didn't try it a couple more times. Unless it says done right away it should read the code

codered

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 QCSB
Engine
magnum 5.9/360
have you done a fluid and filter change? my 46rh would do fine when it was cold when it got hot i got nothing. since i did a fluid and filter change my transmission works now under any condition. with these trans you have to watch it they aren't weak they just have inadequate cooling.

OP
OP
X

Xxgregxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Nope didnt sayanything. Tried 10 times in different ways both off to acc from acc to run from off to run. Nothing. I have a trusty odbII and it isnt picking anything up. Got annoying clunking relative to speed cant figure out if its tranny ujoint or drums though. This pickup sure is keeping my head on a swivel. Took a physical look at the tranny and its too clean for what im used to i think its relatively new. Leaks out the rear of the tranny pretty good though that seal is shot. Leaves puddles after driving. Thinking of shoving some lucas in there see what that does. Tranny might be acting up i have to keep feeding quarts to the tranny.

OP
OP
X

Xxgregxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
have you done a fluid and filter change? my 46rh would do fine when it was cold when it got hot i got nothing. since i did a fluid and filter change my transmission works now under any condition. with these trans you have to watch it they aren't weak they just have inadequate cooling.

Havent checked the filter but it has a flush and an aftermarket cooler on it.

codered

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 QCSB
Engine
magnum 5.9/360
Havent checked the filter but it has a flush and an aftermarket cooler on it.

ok, i was just throwing it out there. if you find the problem to it let me know. :cheers: and have a good weekend.

sent from my brick using clay

OP
OP
X

Xxgregxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Thanks for the idea ill crack the pan and change it out. The shop did the fluid flush after installing the filter i got 5 on it. Clogged the hell out of it i bet. Good filters are important so good lookin out and thank you. Have a good one yourself bud.

Joe w.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
Nope didnt sayanything. Tried 10 times in different ways both off to acc from acc to run from off to run. Nothing. I have a trusty odbII and it isnt picking anything up. Got annoying clunking relative to speed cant figure out if its tranny ujoint or drums though. This pickup sure is keeping my head on a swivel. Took a physical look at the tranny and its too clean for what im used to i think its relatively new. Leaks out the rear of the tranny pretty good though that seal is shot. Leaves puddles after driving. Thinking of shoving some lucas in there see what that does. Tranny might be acting up i have to keep feeding quarts to the tranny.

I cant never get mine to show a code either when mine acts up. I finally got around a few days ago and check the fluid a little low so I put a quart in it. Have drove it 300+miles since and has been fine. I got over 30,000 miles since last time I had it flushed out and filter changed. Plan on having it done again soon.

OP
OP
X

Xxgregxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Took a good hard look at my trans pan gasket and output shaft seal. Both need teplaced thing leaks fluid like nobodys business. Betcha thats the problem. Constantly low fluid and a shot filter. Ill give a shot to fixing allthat tomorrow let yall know how she goes.

OP
OP
X

Xxgregxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Alright got a code of 1763 y'all.