New!! Remote Start issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheEverythingApprentice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey Guys/Gals! I've been lurking here for a while, trying to learn more about vehicles so i can eventually chime in and beef up my 98 1500 when the time comes. So, thanks for all the info you've unknowingly supplied.

Ive done a search, and can't find what im looking for, so....

I have a remote start. Issue is, on occasion, when i try to start the truck the security kicks in and shuts the whole truck down. Then i have to remove the negative cable from the battery, reattach it, key start it, and then push my luck getting to work on time...

Anyone have any ideas as to what i might be able to do to resolve it? It's not always the remote start that engages the security lock out either. It hasdone it to me a few times just using the key.
F***ing Annoying...

Thanks in advance.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bright White 3500 Laramie 4X4 Long Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
Is it a factory security system you're talking about or aftermarket? If it's aftermarket, find a local dealer who sells that brand and ask them if they've had that experience before. Maybe they'll share their knowledge or at least tell you what it would cost to solve the problem.

OP
OP
T

TheEverythingApprentice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's an after market remote starter. Was already installed when i was given the keys, and the security is just a part of the remote start system. If you try to put it in gear prior to putting the key in it locks out the power completely. So, what i think is happening, is somehow just starting the truck will occasionally trip the security lock out. Whether i use the remote start or the key it will act like it's going to fire up but right as the starter begins to engage it immediately shuts off and i have to remove the negative to get my power back. Not a super huge hassle, but enough to get on my nerves with reprogramming the radio and taking up time.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bright White 3500 Laramie 4X4 Long Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
I'd probably do the same thing. If you want to tackle it yourself I'd start with who made the remote starter, look at the install instructions. After making sure that was all done correctly I'd look for a forum that deals with either that manufacturers or product. Sometimes people post remedies to common glitches in products. Like finding out about Ram here.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk