Noob with a question.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BennyLumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
First off, howdy! Second....I'm a second time Dodge owner though I swore I wouldn't after the last truck I had....long story but it was a Dakota and it was a horrible experience but I figured I'd try again. My question is, I bought a 99 1500 4x4 with a 360 auto. I need to replace all the front brake lines and hoses....been searching around but does anyone have a true kit? I think its part of my issue is that when you get on the brakes the truck swerves quite a bit. The truck has 61000 miles and the lines are visibly rusty so I've been told the lines had issues with rusting in the clamps pinching the hoses....maybe I'm off....open to ideas though. Thanks!

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I seriusly doubt you're gonna find a full kit. For the steel lines you could always hit up a pick and pull for a better looking set of lines. Otherwise it's just go to a parts store, but the line and a bending tool and bend them yourself. As for the flex hoses, the lining inside the flex hose can collapse over time and actually cause the symptoms you speak of, eventually they collapse so much that the friction used to push the brake pad off the rotor isnt enough to do so and you have to go under and open the bleeder valve to get them to release until you replace the flex hoses...which can warp rotors and seals.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Well welcome!!!!!! To start rusted lines are a pretty norm thing on about any vehicle. Steel+salt and water=rust no way around it. But as for swerving while hitting the brakes I would be looking more ate the rotors and calipers. First on my list to change would be rotors. As if they are warped they could cause that type of thing to happen. Also the cheapest. After that maybe the calipers. Just had an issue where a guys truck was pulling hard to one side. Turned out to be a bad caliper. But if you got a truck with that low of miles you have a gem. Others will chime in soon with their thoughts. But that is where I would start.

Again welcome

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
BennyLumpkin

BennyLumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
The rotors don't feel to have any warp but a caliper wouldn't surprise me. The lines are a must do though...they're pretty bad. After the brake issue, I'm going to tackle how utterly gutless this truck is. Its a 360, but it has NO balls whatsoever. I'm sure it needs a full tuneup though and it has a CEL the guy I got it off of said is a CAT code so I may gut, or replace the CAT

Here is a pic of the new ride..it has the typical clear peeling so I may two tone it this summer.

photobucket-1543-1337643933054.jpg

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When ya get a chance...pull the air box off the throttle body and look in there with a flashlight for any signs of oil pooling at the bottom of the intake...I say this cause for a CAT to go bad after only as many miles that are on that truck is a little unusual. Something had to have contributed to it. IF you see oil pooling, then it's time to replace the plenum gasket.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah...it's a pretty common occurance. And them beling blown contributes to CAT failure.

OP
OP
BennyLumpkin

BennyLumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I was kinda afraid of that but I'm more than capable of fixing it....just don't want to lol

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HAHAHA...it's time consuming for sure. On your DAK did you use the Hughes kit when you replaced it the first time, or did you just replace the gasket?

OP
OP
BennyLumpkin

BennyLumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I bought the truck used and the dealer covered it under the limited warranty so I really don't know. What is the kit you speak of? I'm pretty new to the MOPAR thing lol.....Owned nearly 30 Ford's and GM's but only 2 Dodge's lol

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here's the link...it also includes a new thermostat, bypass hose and intake manifold bolts now too at the same price as it did without them. If the dealer did yours, then they would have only replaced the gasket...which really isnt the problem. The problem is the stock plenum plate...it's thin and flimsy and prone to warpage. If you get this and install it, you will never have to do it again.

Hughes Engines

OP
OP
BennyLumpkin

BennyLumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Not a bad kit....I'll look into that but I want to start with a tune up. Doesn't smoke but the exhaust tips are sooty, has a bit of a miss and its LAZY. Like excessively lazy but I'm sure its never had the throttle body cleaned or injector cleaner or anything like that.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Best injector cleaner out there in my opinion is Berrymans B12 Chemtool...give them a shot!!!

OP
OP
BennyLumpkin

BennyLumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I'll have to see if anyone around here carries it....I know BG stuff is great too.

OP
OP
BennyLumpkin

BennyLumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Is there any other way to tell if that's my issue other than oil pooling in the throttle body?

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Normally the signs are, excessive oil comsumption, pinging, loss of fuel mileage. It might not be the problem, but like I said, with as few miles there are on your truck, having a CAT problem is a little unusual, which is why I say something must be contributing to the CAT going bad. It could be a fuel related problem...but the most common is the plenum.

OP
OP
BennyLumpkin

BennyLumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I just got it last night so I'm trying to get familiar with it. I'm hoping to dig into it soon. Waiting on a phone call from a guy on a fiberglass fitted Leer cap for it right now....not a cap fan with but 2 dogs, all the crap to haul for a newborn and fishing stuff it'll serve a good purpose.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome...I loved my Gen2...but my wife tried putting a concrete pole between the bed and cab and fukked it all up. So, I traded it in towards my Gen3...lol

OP
OP
BennyLumpkin

BennyLumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Death flash? It does have a sticker on the core support that says it was flashed.