Problems with 1995 Ram.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DTA47

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
So I purchased a 95 Dodge ram 4x4 5.2 Auto with 171,***. Got it for a very good price considering it had issues. Now I'm hoping someone can help me diagnose this.

The truck has a significant power loss. Shift points seem just fine but does not down shift even at wide open throttle. The idle drops more than it should when shifted into gear sometimes even stalls (but rarely) Has a occasional shake from 15-40 mph when accelerating, bad shake from 45+ regardless of throttle. (haven't taken it over 55) To top it all of it isn't showing a check engine light.

I have not found any vacuum leaks of any kind. But I did find the previous owner's mechanical skills very questionable. He replaced plugs wires and rotor. If it sounds like something he could have screwed up doing these, chances are he most likely did. Any help would be appreciated and let me know if I can give out any more info to help.

Picton

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 - 1500 Express CC 4x2
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Man...good luck to you...I have no clue...perhaps my post will help spur some responses.

tragikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum v8 5.9l
the first thing I would do is verify the plug wires are in the right order. 2nd could be a fuel related issue. 3rd clogged cat? does it run rough only when moving or when reving it ?

The Assassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to the forum! Perhaps you should just do some general maintenance on it. Check the plugs and wires, as stated above. Clean the throttle body, and perhaps look into doing a Sea Foam treatment on it. You can find a good amount of info on here about Sea Foam.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Yeah I would suggest a tuneup first. Also look down the throttle body to see if there is oil, from a plenum leak which would account for power loss and loss of MPGs.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Symptoms suggest a mis installed plug wires, easy to do and may not trip a code on a 95 (OBD-1)
Has it backfired? Sounds like 5-7 plug wires swapped to wrong plug.