Starter relay or terminals on starter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MathersAlan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 Ram 1500
Engine
318 ci
Hello...

I need some advise, I have a 00 model Ram 1500 with the 5.2 and within the past 3 months I have been having problems starting the truck. Upon turning the key I would hear a click and sometimes the starter will attempt to engage but will quit. It's like loud click coming from the engine compartment...Like a click...(try again)..starter engages but quits before engine fires...(again) click..(while the key is still turned) and the third attempt the starter will finally kick in again and the engine fires up. It's been getting on my nerves and I have already replaced the battery with a new one and new battery post terminals and cleaned the terminals in the fuse lodge from where the battery connections connect. I am guessing it could be the contacts on the starter or a bad rely??

This happens at random times..sometime it will do it, and sometimes it wont but lately its been getting worse.

I feel likes this is caused by a bad connection somewhere..It's getting enough juice from battery..

Last edited:

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Starter maybe going out? Teeth missing on it? plus your connections maybe loose or corroded.

OP
OP
M

MathersAlan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 Ram 1500
Engine
318 ci
Starter maybe going out? Teeth missing on it? plus your connections maybe loose or corroded.

Starter it self seems operational no odd noises and acts like it fully engages the flywheel. It's like a hit and miss type of thing - I believe connections could be corroded from sitting in the yard for almost a year. It only does it every now and then...

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I'd check to make sure all your ground wires have a good, clean connection then move to the starter. I went through hell trying to find the cause of my slow starting issue. If you do pull the starter, there's not much to it. One bolt and a nut and it'll drop down. It took me a minute to figure out there's a bracket that slips over the top of the upper bolt that holds transmission cooler lines in place

---
- Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

MathersAlan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 Ram 1500
Engine
318 ci
I'd check to make sure all your ground wires have a good, clean connection then move to the starter. I went through hell trying to find the cause of my slow starting issue. If you do pull the starter, there's not much to it. One bolt and a nut and it'll drop down. It took me a minute to figure out there's a bracket that slips over the top of the upper bolt that holds transmission cooler lines in place

---
- Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

It's annoying when nic-nacs like these occur. Because it always boils down to working on it for days buying this and that when it all came down to a simple corroded ground wire.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
don't rule out the starter. I had a car that would start fine one day then the next it wouldn't....took three trips to the dealer for them to determine that there was a flat spot on the starter and it was hit or miss if that flat spot would stop in the right spot to make it not work the next time.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
All good starting points. You said the truck sat for awhile in the yard? Idk if you have alot of squirrels in your area but they are know to eat wiring or nick it enough to cause random issues.

nussdawg395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Dude it sounds redneck as all hell but give her a bang with a hammer. Seen that trick a thousand times to a starter going out just as your described.

wingnut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
Mine did that. And a bang on the starter always fixed it. It was corrosion in the solenoid. 2 hours, and $0 dollars to fix. Clean the corroded contacts in the solenoid. Yes, I'm cheap!