Steering box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's been a while since I've been on the forum. I miss this place. Anyways, in the past 10 months my 99 ram 1500 has become my daily driver. In the past month, I have removed the 2inch spacers from the front, and the add a leaf from the rear. Running a 5" lift now. I replaced all 4 shocks, all 4 ball joints, 3 tie rods, the track bar, everything from moog. And all 4 35" tires. $3500 dollars later, I still have slop in the steering wheel and started leaking power steering fluid. I want to replace it and don't want to pay some one else to do it. So my questions are

1) how hard is it to do my self?
2) any special tools needed?
3) should I use a box from a 2500?
4) is it a direct bolt on upgrade?

Thanks for what ever help and advice you can offer.

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Fairly simple to do.. not sure about the 2500 upgrade, but stock for stock, it's easy to do.. I got a rebuild from autozone. Two, maybe three hours tops. All you'll really need is a good socket set, a breaker bar, catch pan and possibly a set of small hands.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Ram digger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
I don't think the bolts to the frame for the 2500 steering box line up , however there are some good aftermarket upgrades for the 1500 version. Food for thought!

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Aftermarket are great. Your pockets need to be a little deep though lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk