Steering Play and Ball Joint Problem!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ama009

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
3.9 V6
From what I have read, this is a common issue with the 2nd gens, but my truck has a lot of play in the steering. When I got this truck on a trade it had the driver side upper ball joint popped out, so i figured id put it back in and the guy told me it needed to be aligned. Well, after I put the ball joint back in it felt like the truck was not out of alignment. It just seems to have a lot of play. I saw that they sell a bracket on ebay that supposedly repairs that problem. Any experience with that? Does it work?

Also, 2 weeks after putting in the driver side ball joint, the passenger upper ball joint popped out too!! So, i put that one back in and checked the driver side, but it was not coming out. These ball joints are new!! So are the lower ball joints and tie rods. Could they have been installed incorrectly or the wrong ones installed? Thanks guys!!

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
From what I have read, this is a common issue with the 2nd gens, but my truck has a lot of play in the steering. When I got this truck on a trade it had the driver side upper ball joint popped out, so i figured id put it back in and the guy told me it needed to be aligned. Well, after I put the ball joint back in it felt like the truck was not out of alignment. It just seems to have a lot of play. I saw that they sell a bracket on ebay that supposedly repairs that problem. Any experience with that? Does it work?

Also, 2 weeks after putting in the driver side ball joint, the passenger upper ball joint popped out too!! So, i put that one back in and checked the driver side, but it was not coming out. These ball joints are new!! So are the lower ball joints and tie rods. Could they have been installed incorrectly or the wrong ones installed? Thanks guys!!
Idk anything about that Ebay part that fixes the problem. Ive seen it before but dont know anyone thats tried it, i thought about it for my truck also but Idt i really need it. If you do install it on your truck, let us know how it works! Also, in the DIY section, there is a write-up on the steering adjustment. This may help to get rid some of the play you have in yours.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
^^what he said with DIY section here for the steering wheel play there is also one there for a ball joint replacement (its for a 4x4 so will be a little different but may help in giving you an idea)

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
You can adjust the steering box and get 95% of the play out . The brace you are talking about is a steering box brace and they are awesome when you have huge tires , takes less stress off linkage . I have one but didnt know them made them for 1500's?

OP
OP
A

ama009

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
3.9 V6
Thanks A BUNCH!! guys. I will definately look in the DIY Section and try the adjustment first. If that doesn't work I will get the steering box brace. It goes for $120 online, and adds a bearing. IDK exactly how it works yet, but I will check in to it if I have to.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Post up a link to the brace and we'll be able to tell ya if it's worth the money or just someone selling another "snake oil" fix.
The steering box adjustment is cake. Took longer to gather up the tools than actually make the adjustment

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
I actually did look into this a bit a few months ago. I saw the ad for it on Craigslist which had the link to go to that same website. Id love to know if it is worth it or not. If I were you, Id do the adjustment first, then if its still bothering you, maybe get this...

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
POST 4

Yes they are worth it .. one if the best suspension parts I have bought .

SUL73NAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
ama isn't your truck a 2wd? I think that part is for the 4WD's so i don't think it will work. Here is a pic of mine its from DT Pro Fab here in az. The one you posted a pic of is a single sheet of 1/4" steel. Not worth it in m opinion.
frontdiffcover.jpg
dtprofab.jpg
steeringaide.jpg

You can see in the pics that it serves both the purpose of a steering brace as intended and it drops my sway bar. Other mfg.s make them too like bd diesel and psc. Like i said I'm no expert (in 2wds) but I'm pretty sure they are for 4wd (solid axle/non ifs).

RamTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dakota SXT
Engine
3.7L
Don't forget to check the track bar for slop. This is a common cause of sloppy steering in solid front axle trucks. The intermediate steering shaft is also another place to check.

OP
OP
A

ama009

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
3.9 V6
You can adjust the steering box and get 95% of the play out . The brace you are talking about is a steering box brace and they are awesome when you have huge tires , takes less stress off linkage . I have one but didnt know them made them for 1500's?

According to the site, they do fit the 1500.

OP
OP
A

ama009

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
3.9 V6
I am gonna call them because I think you are right. I was wondering what the bearing was for, but now that I see your pics, it makes sense. Awesome truck by the way. Thanks for the help!

EditEditEditEdit: Well, it says it right here on the web site that this one is for 2wd.

2WD (1994-2002)
1500 (94-01)
2500, 3500 (94-02)

Click to enlarge
2WD 1994-2002
$120.00

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

ama009

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
3.9 V6
I am going to do the adjustment tonight and see how much that helps. I hope that does it. I will post how it works.

OP
OP
A

ama009

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
3.9 V6
Well, i did the steering adjustment last night and it improved the steering almost 100%!! It still has a tiny bit of play, buy l figured it would be better that way than the steering get harder, so im happy!! The adjustment was a breeZe especially with the great instructions from the DIY section!! Awesome!! Thanks guys!!

OP
OP
A

ama009

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
3.9 V6
Well, after driving it this morning, the steering has the play in it again and it is almost back to how it was before. How can that happen? why would it be tight when I adjusted it and now it is almost the same again. I guess I will try to adjust it again and see what happens. If not, I'll have to get that stabilizer because, honestly that play is driving me crazy.

OP
OP
A

ama009

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
3.9 V6
Don't forget to check the track bar for slop. This is a common cause of sloppy steering in solid front axle trucks. The intermediate steering shaft is also another place to check.

How do I adjust these? Or can I?

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Did you remember to tighten the nut down after adjusting the bolt??? the track bar is the long bar that goes across from wheel to wheel.