Trans Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoadRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Please delete my account
Engine
Please delete my account
Hiya's, I have a 97 Dodge 3500 Cummins. Bought this truck a little less than 2 years ago. Trans was SUPPOSED to have been rebuilt 30K miles before I bought it, I've put about 10K on it since then. Anyway, In the last week or so, it feels like it starts off in 2nd gear, but driving from a stop and counting the shifts, it shifts 3 times, plus lock-up. I figured I'd change the fluid, filter, and adjust the bands, (trans pan and original filter were clean as can be) all went well, no issues there but trans still feels the same. Dropped the pan again, rechecked the band adjustment, ok. Pulled the gov solenoid, no debris on the screens, cleaned it all out anyway. Same issue. I tired starting out in 1st manually but to my surprise, the truck wouldn't move an inch so I tired 2nd, same thing, it's like it's in neutral. Put it in drive, went for a test ride, shifts fine, no slipping, feel the converter lock up, just sluggish off the line, like it's in 2nd gear. Anyone have any ideas? I actually worked for Mopar almost 20 years but never worked on transmissions. Guess I should have taken the dealer up on that offer!

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Welcome to RF!

Sadly, I could not find your exact problem in a service manual. I hope your e brake isn't stuck or dragging.

I wonder if your linkage or a linkage related issue isn't the problem. I'm going by the info that your truck won't move in 1st or 2nd gear.

NO DRIVE OR REVERSE
(VEHICLE WILL NOT
MOVE)
1. Fluid Level Low. 1. Add fluid and check for leaks if drive is
restored.
2. Gearshift Linkage/Cable
Loose/Misadjusted.
2. Inspect, adjust and reassemble linkage
as needed. Replace worn/damaged parts.
3. U-Joint/Axle/Transfer Case
Broken.
3. Perform preliminary inspection procedure
for vehicle that will not move. Refer to
procedure in diagnosis section.
4. Filter Plugged. 4. Remove and disassemble transmission.
Repair or replace failed components as
needed. Replace filter. If filter and fluid
contained clutch material or metal particles,
an overhaul may be necessary. Perform
lube flow test. Flush oil. Replace cooler as
necessary.
5. Oil Pump Damaged. 5. Perform pressure test to confirm low
pressure. Replace pump body assembly if
necessary.
6. Valve Body Malfunctioned. 6. Check and inspect valve body. Replace
valve body (as assembly) if any valve or
bore is damaged. Clean and reassemble
correctly if all parts are in good condition.
7. Transmission Internal Component
Damaged.
7. Remove and disassemble transmission.
Repair or replace failed components as
needed.
8. Park Sprag not Releasing - Check
Stall Speed, Worn/Damaged/Stuck.
8. Remove, disassemble, repair.
9. Torque Converter Damage. 9. Inspect and replace as required.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RoadRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Please delete my account
Engine
Please delete my account
Thank you for the reply, that gives me some things to check.

The brake isn't hanging up, parking brakes are one thing I make sure work correctly. Living here in the mountians, I'm always parking on an incline and I hate putting all that pressure on the park pawl.

Thanks again!

OP
OP
R

RoadRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Please delete my account
Engine
Please delete my account
Ive checked as much as I can, still can't figure it out. Scanned it, no codes. I tried a few different things and while messing with it I found that if I shift the trans into 1st and am on a hill, the truck won't roll down the hill, not touching the brake and shifting into neutral, the truck starts rolling. So now I get the impression that something is binding in the trans. Still makes me wonder why reverse engages right away and has normal operation while the forward gears are all messed up. Starting to think valve body. Maybe I'll pull that out and see if there's something going on inside it. O well.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Ive checked as much as I can, still can't figure it out. Scanned it, no codes. I tried a few different things and while messing with it I found that if I shift the trans into 1st and am on a hill, the truck won't roll down the hill, not touching the brake and shifting into neutral, the truck starts rolling. So now I get the impression that something is binding in the trans. Still makes me wonder why reverse engages right away and has normal operation while the forward gears are all messed up. Starting to think valve body. Maybe I'll pull that out and see if there's something going on inside it. O well.

Sticking or defective valve body component is one of the things the service manual points to.

OP
OP
R

RoadRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Please delete my account
Engine
Please delete my account
Took out the valve body and dissasembled it. There were 2 things I saw that may or may not be good. The first picture is a valve that is recessed into the body more than the other two. Not sure if that's how it's supposed to be. The 2nd picture I'm almost sure isn't good but I'm not sure what problems it may cause. That little valve (hard to see in the pic) was not seated against the stop before I took out the spring. So, I'm not sure. Everything else seems ok, nothing binding or broken, no clumps of goo in there anywhere either.

Valve2.jpg

Valve1.jpg