Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrkdi182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 2wd
I am trying to find out what the letters RH,RE stand for when trying to find out what transmission pan gasket i need,I have a leak around the seal of the pan.

Ramunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would use what they use at the factory, Mopar Transmission RTV or Permatex. No specific gasket needed.

To answer your Q, RH is hydraulically controlled that was used up to I think 1995. RE is electronically controlled that is used from 96 to present.

Last edited:

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Sorry, but you should never use any sealer on a transmission gasket. You'll have to drop the pan to make sure that the lip isn't bent or warped. You can straighten it carefully.
Transmission fluid will cause a cork gasket to expand, that is why you don't use sealers. Rubber or solid style style gaskets can't absorb the sealer so it is a waste of time...it will shove the sealer out. You can use a few drops of super glue to hold the gasket in place until you get a few bolts started.
Retighten the pan to torque specs.

Last edited:

Ramunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry, but you should never use any sealer on a transmission gasket. You'll have to drop the pan to make sure that the lip isn't bent or warped. You can straighten it carefully.
Transmission fluid will cause a cork gasket to expand, that is why you don't use sealers. Rubber or solid style style gaskets can't absorb the sealer so it is a waste of time...it will shove the sealer out. You can use a few drops of super glue to hold the gasket in place until you get a few bolts started.
Retighten the pan to torque specs.

Not sure what you are talking about "sealer"? If you are referring to my statement on RTV, it's specifically made to be a gasket maker for trans pans. The factory uses it and so do certified techs. Yes, the pan needs to be dropped, fluid and all, cleaned and new RTV applied. Just so there is no confusion this is not a quick "sealer" fix, it's creating a brand new gasket seal from the beginning.

Last edited:

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I have been installing transmission pans for over 30 years...have always used a gasket with complete success. I hate RTV because of the people that abuse it. When I pulled my OE rear diff cover off it had about two + tubes worth of that stringy crap smeared all over the inside.

The problem with such advice usually leads to someone using way too much RTV sealer and ending up with leaks or worse. It would be better to use none at all and let the gasket do it's job.

When I pulled my RAM's trans pan for it's first filter change it had a gasket, not RTV. Every Mopar auto I have ever dropped a pan or pulled apart on has never has had RTV anywhere. The techs who installed the shift kit and the one who rebuilt my trans used gaskets, not RTV. I would hate get RTV anywhere where it might get into a passage or end up in the valvebody.

Maybe newer Dodges use RTV...? My advice to the novice is to use a gasket and a few drops of something that drys quickly to hold the gasket in place so one man can hold it up there and start a few bolts.

Last edited:

Ramunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been installing pans for over 31 years. Post #2 clearly states "no specific gasket needed" that's pretty clear, nobody concluded that RTV plus a gasket was to be used, that was your insinuation as was the word "sealer". RTV is a gasket maker period, it's what the pro's use, use as directed and there would be no leaks, it's really simple. Now that we are clear, you all can use tree sap as far as I'm concerned. I'm done trying to give great advice.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Take a chill pill big dog! Tree sap is more useful for other things.

I understand clearly what your saying. You can use RTV gasket maker to make a gasket. I'm not disputing that. See, we agree!

The problem is that novices don't understand..and they get a filter kit with a gasket and go..oh...I'll put RTV on it to make it better. The parts guy happily sells them a tube of this high profit item...as a sealer

I'm sure you'll agree that disaster follows. I've seen it personally. I'd guess you have as well? If not you will. And you will cusssssss....

However...If you can show me a "pro" that is using RTV as gasket material on a 2nd gen Dodge trans pan please post a picture up. My factory manual doesn't and the last techs who've worked on my trans haven't either.

I would love to see one. I'm an old dog but I can at least observe a new trick.

And don't get so angry...:)

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I am going to agree that RTV is what is best seal and best to use. It does not take skill to use you put it on and tighten the bolts pretty simple. You really can't mess it up if you have any ability at all. If you use to much wipe off excess good to go. It won't win beauty contests but works perfect. If you really want it to be easy and can't handle RTV probably best you take it in. Those seals that come with the filter should be thrown away. Best type of RTV is called "the right stuff" in my opinion. I just want to wipe away notion a novice can't handle using RTV it is not difficult and if it does not leak it is fine.

$miley

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I'm on Okie's side here. RTV is great stuff, but if you have a gasket for a specific part and it doesn't need RTV, why use it? RTV is great when you have a part that does not have a gasket, but needs sealed. That is what RTV is used for by me, i'm no professional, and by no means have 30 years of experience (it would be hard for me since i'm only 23....) but i grew up wrenching, was ASE certified in brakes and suspension, and turn all my own wrenches and never had a problem. I'm not saying i haven't seen people put RTV on either side of a gasket that doesn't need it, because i have, i have also seen people glob it on and call it good. personally, i wouldn't want a piece of RTV to bulge outside the lip and into my tranny and brake off and screw up my tranny. Given if that happens, you used way to much, but still, doesn't make since to use RTV when you don't need to. its like using schedule 80 steel pipe as exhaust pipe. there is just no need to do it, but if done right it won't harm anything either, so why make it harder on yourself and use it in the first place?

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I can see using either honestly but I think the reason is it (RTV) is the best seal possible as it will fill and adhere to the pan or diff cover etc well even if slightly bent. To each his own I guess. I have never used a preformed gasket but they make them so someone must. I don't claim to be expert either to maybe I have been doing it wrong the last 10ish years haha.

Bandit-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 L
I started turning wrenches in 1963. Next to a good cold beer RTV is the best thing to come down the pike. I recall having to throw away thermostat housings that had pitted or warped and twisted up valve covers in the sixties and early seventies that I was able to seal with RTV in the eighties and ninties. The only thing they left out of the formulation was a dab of common sense for the mechanic using it.

I have also seen it badley mis-used. I use to own a radiator shop and have pulled tanks on radiators only to reveal them being half way stopped up with strings of RTV that had broke off the insides of the stat housing or the water pump where some mechanic over used it. Granted the radiators were salvageable by rodding them out and replacing the tanks. But it was an un called for repair. In fact over a ten year period we would get a couple like that each year.

But the bottom line is I keep it on hand and use it frequently.

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Either transmission pan filter kit you get from the parts store will have the gasket with the filter. And the directions said not to use rtv. So I didn't lol. It fit on the pan and bolted right up. But like stated above one of them was used up to years 95 and the other was used after that. I have a 98 and had to get the RH kit I believe I don't remember. I did mine yesterday morning so just trying to give you what I remember!

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Either transmission pan filter kit you get from the parts store will have the gasket with the filter. And the directions said not to use rtv. So I didn't lol. It fit on the pan and bolted right up. But like stated above one of them was used up to years 95 and the other was used after that. I have a 98 and had to get the RH kit I believe I don't remember. I did mine yesterday morning so just trying to give you what I remember!

That's correct Zach...either use the gasket supplied, or RTV, but not both. So you did good. :birgits_tiredcoffee

Bandit-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 L
I forgot to share a something I do when using rtv or a similar type gasket maker. First I make sure that the surfaces being sealed are spotless. I also make sure that all surfaces being sealed are staright. If the bolt holes are dimpled I use a couple ball peen hammers and straighten them. If I am working with a heavy metal rail like the surface where you would bolt the oil pan to the cylinder block I make sure the surface is true by either running a flat file over it which will show the highs and lows or I also have some machinest stones I use to true the cast iron surfaces.

Any how once everything is true and spotless my last step just before applying the rtv is I soak a heavy paper towel or a clean shop towel with rubbing alcohol and wipe down the surfaces degreasing them.

Then I apply just enough rtv to the surfaces to built the gasket being careful not to over use the rtv.

I then put my oil pan on and start all my bolts. I run the bolts down till I see the rtv squishing out of the seams, But, I do not torque the bolts. I leave the bolts loose at least a turn before they will start torquing up. Then I wait 24 hours allowing the rtv to set up taking the form of the gasket. Then at the endo if the 24 hours I go ahead and torque the oil pan on down.

This way preforms a gasket leaving a little bit of compression left in the gasket when you torque the bolts.

I have never had a leaker using this process.

v8only

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
nothing wrong with rtv...many transmissions dont even come with gaskets...i rebuild mustang manual trannies and they dont make gaskets for them....its 100% sealed up with rtv

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2