windshield wiper trouble HELP PLEASE IT"S WET OUT THERE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luke(MI)

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Chevy Blazer
Engine
4.3l Vortec V6
ok, now this problem is ******* me off. My windshield wipers are very loose,at the base. when they are turned off, I can wiggle the wiper up and down (back and forth or what ever) about 6 inched to 8 inches at the tips. this is the whole arm and everything not just the blade. anyways, what causes this? is there a set screw loose or something? if it's just a bushing or worn tips I'l just gorilla glue the damn thing for now and is there a trick to getting that damn plastic cover off so I can get at the motor and bases etc? no matter how I wiggle the damn thing I cant seem to get it to clear the bases and I don't want to break it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Luke(MI)

Luke(MI)

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Chevy Blazer
Engine
4.3l Vortec V6
no one?

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I think there is a spring our set screw that holds the blade arm to the assembly. Is the whole assembly moving or just the arm?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
ok I just went and looked looks like it is a clip built into the arm but its dark and cant really take my wiper arms off in the dark

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Luke(MI)

Luke(MI)

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Chevy Blazer
Engine
4.3l Vortec V6
The whole thing moves. I CAN NOT get that damned cover off. thinking about cutting slots in the damn thing to get it out. I've tried everything.

OP
OP
Luke(MI)

Luke(MI)

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Chevy Blazer
Engine
4.3l Vortec V6
Never mind, got the windshield wipers off, got the cowel off. The shaft has a little slop in it. and reasons for this? wiper motor will also need replacing soon DAMMIT! but for now, it's getting this problem fixed.

OP
OP
Luke(MI)

Luke(MI)

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Chevy Blazer
Engine
4.3l Vortec V6
ok I just went and looked looks like it is a clip built into the arm but its dark and cant really take my wiper arms off in the dark

Yeah, it's 11:45 here and the neighbor girl just came over to make sure it was us and not someone messing with something. I'm at a buddy's house, he has unlimited access to tools, and a huge shop. I have the tools, just not the space with that tractor tore apart.

ramthis9501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
When I had my windshield replaced, the guys that installed it popped the cover off in about 3 seconds lol wish I would've paid attention to how he did it

OP
OP
Luke(MI)

Luke(MI)

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Chevy Blazer
Engine
4.3l Vortec V6
Theres clips at the base of the windshield wipers, you can see them sticking out. you need to lift the wiper to the vertical position (windshielt wipers must be fully out (the farthest they go when you turn them on, accomplish this by turning the key to accesorys and turning them on, as soon as they get to the point where they almost start to go back down, turn the key back to off (lock) position) pull the clip toward the drivers side a far as it will go, and grab the base of the wiper arm, and pull up. if it doesn't pop right off, rock it back and fourth and up and down while pulling up. once both wipers are off, use a hex *** at all the clips on the cowel and remove them. once they are off, it should slide right over the wiper base knobs. Remember what potition thhe wipers where when you took them off though, so you can put them back on the way they came off.

EDIT: DO NOT USE A SCREW DRIVER TO TRY TO PRY THEM OFF AFTER YOU'VE REMOVED THE CLIPS. IT WILL **** UP THE BASE AND DISTORT IT, AND IT WILL NOT SEAT PROPERLY ON THE KNOBS, CAUSING IT TO POSSIBLY FLY OFF WHEN GOING DOWN THE ROAD

Last edited:

ramthis9501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Thanks man, I'll have to save that for when I need to do that haha

OP
OP
Luke(MI)

Luke(MI)

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Chevy Blazer
Engine
4.3l Vortec V6
yeah, I'm going to post that in the DIY section.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Thanks for the DIY Luke that's a nice little tidbit to add in there.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Just carry a squeegee till its fixed :)