2014 6.7 torque converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tinsey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
While launching my boat backing down the ramp in reverse the truck started to like bounce. I shifted to neutral and it stopped. Wow that was weird. Ok next weekend the same thing happened. Also leaving stop lights there is a light clunk like U Joints but only have 23000 miles and U Joints are good. Seems like the torque converter is unlocking at a stop. Don't know whats going on the boat ramp. These things never happened since new. Anyone heard of issues on these transmissions?
Thanks

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
While launching my boat backing down the ramp in reverse the truck started to like bounce. I shifted to neutral and it stopped. Wow that was weird. Ok next weekend the same thing happened. Also leaving stop lights there is a light clunk like U Joints but only have 23000 miles and U Joints are good. Seems like the torque converter is unlocking at a stop. Don't know whats going on the boat ramp. These things never happened since new. Anyone heard of issues on these transmissions?
Thanks

Hi Tinsey,
Do you know if your TCM software is up-to-date? I found a TSB that involves reprogramming of the Transmission Control Module (TCM) with new software.

TSB NUMBER: 21-011-14
GROUP: Transmission and Transfer Case
DATE: April 04, 2014

SUBJECT: Flash: Improved Medium to Heavy Throttle Downshift Response

OVERVIEW: This bulletin involves flash reprogramming of the Transmission Control Module (TCM) with new software.

MODELS:
2014 DS Ram 1500

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built before January 27, 2014 (MDH 0127XX) equipped with a 5.7L engine (Sales Codes EZH) equipped with the 8HP70 8-Speed automatic transmission (Sales Code DFD).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION: Customers may indicate that the vehicle does not downshift quick enough under medium to heavy throttle.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Your torque converter has to unlock at a stop. If it didn't the truck would stall as it would be exactly like slamming on the brakes without pushing the clutch in on a manual truck.

On the boat ramp I'd bet you're spinning and getting wheel hop. The torque converter won't have anything to do with that. That's all in tires and suspension.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
When launching the boat does it happen when accelerating down the launch, then you let off the accelerator? Sort of a bucking like you are accelerating then letting off then accelerating then letting off?
If you put it in reverse and allow the truck to back up on it's own (without touching the accelerator) does it still happen? What is the condition of the launch?

OP
OP
T

Tinsey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Yes, it is like a bucking action just like jerking in and out of lock up while in reverse only. Never had this in any forward gear. Although leaving every stoplight there is a slight clunk. I have added about 1/2 quart trans fluid and symptoms mentioned seems better slightly.

OP
OP
T

Tinsey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
This has never happened while accelerating in reverse. Backing down the launch ramp rarely requires accelerating.

OP
OP
T

Tinsey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Launch ramp is clean and dry without any slippery stuff.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I think I know what you are talking about, my truck does it too under very light throttle. I'll try digging up more more info on what I am referring to. s far as the clunk, I am not sure on that one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007