2500 gas to diesel swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muddinginamopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay, so the thoughts have come across my mind.....how hard is it to swap from a 5.9 V8 gas to the 6 cylinder Cummins? Engine should just bolt right up, right? I know the computer and *****'s gotta be swapped but what about the trans? Would it just bolt right up with the engine? I'm not planning this until I make some money.... Anyone ever done this before?

suzukiquadrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 , 2004
Engine
cummins 5.9, 6.6 duramax
This is talked about a lot on here and a lot of places, yes it has been done, but it's worth your time and money to get a different truck with a cummins in it already.

OP
OP
Muddinginamopar

Muddinginamopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's what I've been told...but round my part they're still going for $16000.... :( And I can't afford that with school. Sucks, don't it? So I was just gonna go to a jy or find a parts truck and swap it. Keep in mind, I don't plan this until years down the road.

suzukiquadrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 , 2004
Engine
cummins 5.9, 6.6 duramax
That's what I've been told...but round my part they're still going for $16000.... :( And I can't afford that with school. Sucks, don't it? So I was just gonna go to a jy or find a parts truck and swap it. Keep in mind, I don't plan this until years down the road.

Yeah the 2nd gen cummins here still fetch a pretty penny, if you had an entire donner truck, a full shop, and a lot of man hours and you know exactly what you are doing it could be done.

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
But since he has a 2500 already wouldnt it be an easier swap? Isnt everything already beefed up like suspension wise to handle a cummins compared to the 1500's

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Unless your looking for a project... not worth it
Its alot of work and no offense but its typically not done by people asking on forums
Your not going to get a decent motor for under $3k

OP
OP
Muddinginamopar

Muddinginamopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah the 2nd gen cummins here still fetch a pretty penny, if you had an entire donner truck, a full shop, and a lot of man hours and you know exactly what you are doing it could be done.
I'm going to school for automotive technology and have access to all the tools.
But since he has a 2500 already wouldnt it be an easier swap? Isnt everything already beefed up like suspension wise to handle a cummins compared to the 1500's

That's what I was thinking.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

The frame is, the coils are different on the 2500 5.9 gas trucks...the V10 and Cummins trucks share the same coils. But coils can be bought cheap at NAPA.

But honestly, it isn't worth it to build it yourself. If you want a cummins, buy a factory cummins Ram...

OP
OP
Muddinginamopar

Muddinginamopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, I guess there's my answer...lol I'm sure once the gas engine dies I'll be looking into swapping
But that won't be for years yet.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Computers, harnesses, sensors, component mounts, instrumentation, fuel storage and delivery systems, transmission and control module, + a host of smaller items either have to change or be modified.

By the time you are done, you just paid for a factory cummins truck.

OP
OP
Muddinginamopar

Muddinginamopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Computers, harnesses, sensors, component mounts, instrumentation, fuel storage and delivery systems, transmission and control module, + a host of smaller items either have to change or be modified.

By the time you are done, you just paid for a factory cummins truck.

So in other words find a good parts truck...lol Maybe it's not as good of an idea as I thought.

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I'm sure you can find a 12V motor for a decent price. Even at that, I know the 12V swaps are the most economical because it's all mechanical, unlike it's 24V and Common Rail successors.

Do some research into the 12V swap and find out if it's right for you!

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
if you want to do it as a learning experience don't be discouraged by us, the answer is obviously yes it can be done, others are just trying to tell you that its really involved and not a quick easy swap, and by the time you are done you could have just bought one.

i know a guy from up in that area that put a cummins in a Dakota, so anything is possible...lol

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
go to an insurance auction and buy a totaled dodge ram cummins with good motor/tranny.
you can get one there next to nothin........

OP
OP
Muddinginamopar

Muddinginamopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if you want to do it as a learning experience don't be discouraged by us, the answer is obviously yes it can be done, others are just trying to tell you that its really involved and not a quick easy swap, and by the time you are done you could have just bought one.

i know a guy from up in that area that put a cummins in a Dakota, so anything is possible...lol

I know the exact truck you're talking about lol I always dreamed of doing it to mine. Hahaha

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
Your best bet is what has already been said. Find you a junked Ram with a factory 12V and everything will be there for you to swap right in.

As far as swaps go, it would definitely be one of the easiest, but it is still a lot of work. It would be a learning experience that's for sure. If you are on a budget, you can always get a 12V from an old FedEx truck or the like for around $1500 and find a trans at the junkyard and build from there.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Muddinginamopar

Muddinginamopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's what I was thinking... My uncle works for FedEx so I'll ask him. Now would the same trans be applicable? Or would I need another one for a Cummins?

Bikeluver43

Reaction score
Ram Year
98 2500 QC/LB CTD & 99 2500 QC/SB V10
Engine
V10 & CTD 24V
I bought a complete donor truck 94 12valve auto for under $1500 running mint. I just purchased a complete 98.5 qc/lb 24v that has some rusty panels and needs brake work for under $2000 also running mint. The CTD will bolt right in on any gas truck as they share the same motor mounts (94-02-2nd gens). A 12v into a 94-97 is simple and 98-02 is simple if you have a donor truck due to wiring similarity. Its when you cross around that the wiring can be complicated. A V10 is best for the swap aa the tranny is the same as are the axles. Dont be discouraged its not as hard as this thread is making it out to be nor as expensive.