2nd gen gasser to diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luke(MI)

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Chevy Blazer
Engine
4.3l Vortec V6
I maybe looking at dropping a Cummins into my 94 RAM 2500 when the Magnum finally dies, From what I hear, this is a drop in installation, but I know a few things need to be changed. What all is different from the gassers to the diesels? I'd assume suspension changes to accommodate the extra weight? linkage changes? Also what model Cummins would be suitable? I know it would be a few years down the road, but it I find a steal at an auction or Craigslist etc It wouldn't hurt to know.

Thanks

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
You will also have to change out dashes (guages)

Had a guy in our car club replace is V10 with a cummins, it took a few months but he got it done. Not sure what all he did either.
Having a 3/4 ton already I don't think your suspension will need to change, but there may be

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Diff motor mounts, fuel tank and lines new harness, new cluster. Best thing is to have a complete donar truck.

pavester

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i know a girl around town is having her second gen 1500 converted to a 12v.....she bought a wrecked donor truck and i believ is having to swap pretty much the entire suspension/frontend/transmission/rear end. my opinion,save your pennys and buy a second gen cummins. by the time you by a donor truck,buy all the misc parta needed,and install it all youll probably be on par with the price of a 2500 with. a diesel already.

and arent you into mudding? diesels arent exactly the desired motor...heavy,torque but low actual power and whatnot....best bet is too mod the 5.9.....cam headers intake. tuner.

OP
OP
Luke(MI)

Luke(MI)

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Chevy Blazer
Engine
4.3l Vortec V6
Yes, but for the lack of boggers/lift I tend to stay out of the "real" mud. That hole I put it in was just a lot softer and deeper, than I thought, and I knew right away I didn't have the traction. I sped more time pulling guys out of the thick stuff, than I do in it. I'm basically just mudding while I still can, while I still have time for it. We have other mud toys anyways, and the added torque would be great for yanking real mud trucks out. I think I do more towing with the truck than anything else, and better fuel economy would be a plus to. Plus I like smokers lol