Cost of deletes Vs True cost per mile MPG Gains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
Hello Guys,

I have new 2012 2500 6.7, its been to the dealer 2 times in less than 1600 miles for O2 sensor problems.

The last time they told me Cummins just released new program for ECM so they reflashed my ECM.

I know why you guys are doing the deletes to rid dpf crap and EGR.

1) The question is, Is the cost of doing the deletes and buying a programmer worth the minimal gains in HP and fuel mileage increase.

2) What true mileage gains are you getting,do you have fuelly?

I fully understand if your use of your truck is daily work truck for HP and mileage gains.

Thanks for your reply's.

Regards
Don

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 LB CC Diesel
Engine
6.7 CTD
Your looking at an easy 5mpg jump in mileage by doing a delete, you are also looking at voiding your warranty unless your chummy with your dealer.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
My girlfriends dad had me delete his 6.7 at around 40k miles
He went from 14-16 mpg average per tank to 21-24 mpg
His trucks an 09 with 107k miles on it now so the delete have paid for itself

The horsepower gain is actually pretty significant especially depending in the route you choose.
I have heard by just delete in and running a stock tune you pick up almost 30hp, I can't tell you of that number is right but I can tell you there I a very noticeable increase in power after deleting
Dependi on what you use to fool the computer you can gain 175+hp with the tuner

Wandell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Even if there was no power or MPG gain, it would be worth it for the health of the engine. I'm averaging about 16.5 MPG combined city/highway. The dash will regularly show over 19 MPG with the cruise set on the open highway. Keep in mind, this is with a lift and 37 inch tires.

OP
OP
dsent

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
Thanks for the reply's guys.

My main reason for doing the deletes would be get ride emissions crap to help life of the motor and MPG GAINS.

Here in SC we have no inspection or emissions checks.

My dealer said they would not mind if I had a programmer but to have it set back to stock and out of sight if the truck ever had to go in for service.

I have read and heard that RAM/Cummins has voided some warranties because the number of times the truck was serviced by dealer who keeps track of the number of times the truck ecm was flashed and the number of times it was flashed by someone using a programmer has big difference in the times it was flashed.

I am going to wait for 6- 12 months to make sure what ever is causing O2 problems is fixed before any engine mods.

I use my truck for my Machine Tool Service Business in which I travel up and down the east coast.

I do pull 10K trailer 6-10 times a year with a 6-9k machine on it,Use the same trailer to pull 4 quads and other things.

I also pull my 4k boat 5-10 miles to the river or ocean.

Regards
Don

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Like mentioned, I gained 4mpg with my tuner and dpf delete. That is very significant and adds up quick. Having said that, I only did it for the power gains, but the bump in mileage was a huge plus.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Like everyone else has said, the gains are pretty substantial.
I gained a solid 4mpg across the board by deleting, and a side effect of that was additional hp. I don't know how much power is gained by deleting the DPF,NOX, and cat, but I know my truck became a whole new truck once I delted (no power setting on my tuner).
With the H&S Mini Maxx there is a difference between the DPF present and DPF removed tunes, but im not sure how much of that is related to the presence of the DPF vs more agressive tuning.
DPF present DPF removed
Mild 40hp 60hp
Wild 80hp 120hp
Hot 120hp 175hp.

I did it for the additional power, fuel economy and a healthier engine.