Custom Trans Builds ... post um

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
As we ALL know the CTD's week point is the trans when you start putting power out . This thread is designed for the CTD guy that is looking for helpful setups to go with when the time comes to upgrade or fix .

Mine ... Rated for 700hp

Gorend Triple Disc Converter $1300
Hi Energy Master Kit $280
Valve Body Kit $125
Billet Input Drum $750
Billet Input Shaft $708
Billet Output Shaft $708
Billet Bands and Struts $189
Gov Elect $210
TC Seal $25
Ext Housing $200
Billet Accumulator $150

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if you guys can, add an estimated price of all the work...would really help to get a ballpark cost

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Some good info for us diesel guys

Trucks making stock-100hp over stock:
1. Good shift kit, the reason we recommend upgrading to the shift kit is for the increased line pressure, which help the entire transmission. (for those who don't feel confident building there own VB you can also get a full VB from most companies) Try and stay to a more custom Shift kit as you will get better results than a one size fits all.

2. Billet Servo and Billet accumulator, these parts make a great upgrade as they help seal the transmission. The factory servo and accumulator generally have up to 30% leakage which is a big contributor to the 2nd gear failures.

3. A good TC, whether it be a Billet Single or Billet 3 Disk, this is more a option at this power lever but not necessary.

Trucks making 100hp-200hp over stock*you should add all the above parts, plus the following

4. HD Master Kit, I would use a Heavy Duty Master kit, one that increases the clutch count and gives you all the required parts to achieve the proper clearances. For the most part any good aftermarket company should have a good kit for this application, try and stay away from the E-Bay type of kits as I have seen a few, and they are far from a smooth install. Also make sure who ever you get the kit from can support the product, as we have had several people call with kits they got elsewhere that couldn't get help, and it's hard for any of the aftermarket companies to help with a kit they don't build.

5. Billet 3 Disk TC, I would personally go with a Billet 3 Disk TC, as they are much stronger, especially at the lower RPM's. Plus with some companies having the technology now to offer Billet Dampning systems it makes the lock-up engagement much smoother and much easier on the Input Shaft.

Trucks making 200+hp over stock or towing over 10 000lbs *you should add all the above parts, plus the following

6. Billet Input Shaft, I recommend this upgrade to anyone that can swing the extra $$$ for this part, as it's really good insurance not matter what you do with the truck, but once you reach this power level it should be done. Remeber there are several different Billet Input Shafts and some are better than others, so make sure you talk with vendor that you think has done there homework and not just the cheaper, because I can tell you from experience there is a difference.

Upgrades that are most application based than power based:
- Billet Output Shaft: This upgrade is really only needed for guys using 4wd for boost launching, Sled Pulling, Serious offroading. It doesn't really matter how much HP you make it, if you don't use 4wd hard you aren't putting much load on it.

- Billet Flexplate: This is one of those parts that I tell my customers it's like gambling, I can't honestly say who needs one and who doesn't. I have seen several stock trucks break them, while seeing lots of guys with tons of HP not break them. It's one of those parts that it seems luck has a lot to do with. For the cost I recommend anyone doing it that can swing the $$$$.

- Billet Band Struts, Billet Band Anchors should be added to all transmission when upgrading as they cost less that $50 for the pair and if the stock one breaks it will do $1000's in damage most of the time.

(write up from a company)

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
if you guys can, add an estimated price of all the work...would really help to get a ballpark cost

I will have to call the shop that did mine...this was done by the previous owner couple months before I bought the truck

OP
OP
ramhunter9

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler

I updated my first post for you . I just looked off the sales slip . That was just parts .. labor was a different story .

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
G56- valair dual disc, organic facing, 3800# pressure plate load, nodular iron flywheel, billet floater-$950
Good for up to 550hp. ALOT better for towing then a ceramic clutch

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Southbend Con OFE (Single Disk) clutch and right at 400 HP to the ground and holding tight. Still got the factory NV4500 for a gear box...

Uncle Ugly

Reaction score
Mine is a NADP "Heavy Hauler BRX" series built to handle over 800HP.
Transmission was initially installed by the previous owner after having 2 ATS transmission break while he raced the truck.The original bill from NADP was over $8000 for the trans and converter shipped to Erik's shop.

I have since also had it out and freshened by a local shop(just a precaution for the summer shows)fluid changed and reinstalled which cost me another $1000.I would rather spend a little more now and hopefully lessen the larger bill that could happen later if maintence was not done.Nothing is a given when the torque load from a blast of giggle gas hits and light the big chargers sooner.

Here is what NADP lists in their BRX Series......Andy

Billet input, intermediate & output shaft, Billet Drum, New triple disc billet converter, New high performance Red Alto Frictions, New high performance kolene steels, New billet front & rear servo, New billet accumulator, New billet front band strut, New high performance shift improvement kit w/resistor in line, New “HEMI” style front band, New OEM bearings and washers, New filter & any related hard parts, New OEM electronics, New gaskets, seals, and sealing rings.

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
I can't wait to get my transmission done! Thank God for tax returns!

WV Cummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I have a complete billet trans from DTT,price was right around $7k.I would advise people to stay away from this company "DTT" they have really bad customer service.