Help me out guys...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LilRamMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure if anyone remembers but a while back I sold the ram in my sig to look for another and ended up buying a '72 chevy and taking my mom on a cruise. But I'm back, maybe... Got an offer today, to trade my chevy for a 1996 (I think, maybe a 97) ram 3500 dually, solid front axle, 2wd, flatbed, 5 speed, a p pumped 12 valve cummins, guy says its not the original motor, it came out of a 01 or 02, has about 200k on the motor and 300k on the truck. all stock other than 6 inch stack and has it turned up a bit from towing. And the damn 5th gear is gone, so I'd have to deal with that.

I am a complete diesel noob but have always had diesel fever since I saw my first CTD fly by on the highway. But dont know a whole lot about them, so tell me please! everthing you know about the 12 valve, and about the 5th gear fix. Does this sound like a decent truck? I can post some pics tomorrow when he sends them to me.

So let me know what yall think, I'd love to come back to the RF family :headbang:

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
If its 2wd it doesnt have a solid front axle
To me I'd be nervous about it being a money pit
12v are nice because they are all mechanical but it sounds to me that a backyard mechanic may have had their way with the truck and who knows what the trucks been through in its past life

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
Sounds sketchy.... most of that info is not correct...

Like Cody said, 2WD= no solid front axle

Also, if the motor is out of an 01 or 02, it is not a 12V, it is a 24V which means electronic injection system vs the mechanical.

I would pass on that deal man, keep looking... the right truck will show up

Also, already having trans issues, just tells you it hasn't been treated too well, so then you know it's been ran hard/towed hard.

Davy120

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tranny cost a couple grand to rebuild/fix easy. The reverese gear in my tranny of my 01 5.9 1500 went out and it cost me a little over 2 grand to replace it. The reverse also went out in my father in laws 04 cummins and that cost him 6-7 grand then again he built his bomb proof lol

Sent from my MAN CAVE using Tapatalk 2