Looking for opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

profire

Reaction score
Ram Year
non yet
Engine
none
Hey guys,
New guy here. I have a 05 6.0 P-stroke, but in the market to get rid of it. Looking to get an 04-05 Common Rail. Just looking for some things to look for before I buy it. I'm partial to Manual Trans seeing as thats what my ford has, but I'd take an auto. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Let this Gasser be the first to welcome you to Ramforum. We got some knowledgeable Diesel Guys on here for sure. Danny

OP
OP
P

profire

Reaction score
Ram Year
non yet
Engine
none
Thanks for the welcome. I have a pretty fair knowledge of cummins an diesels in general, but definitely looking to learn more

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome from O-Ville PA! This is a great forum with some really nice folks. Glad to have you.

I just bought my first diesel after nearly 20 years driving gassers. My biggest reason for going with the diesel was for the manual trans. When I got up around 40, I followed the advice from so many people who said: "you get tired of shifting gears when you get older." Well, after 1.5 yrs driving nothing except automatics ('07 Charger Daytona and '10 Ram Big Horn) I went overboard and bought a 6 spd Challenger and 25 days later bought a 6 spd 2500.

There's a lesson here: get the Cummins with a manual.

My only other experience driving a diesel are bigger trucks (Mack, International) except for a '97 P-Stroke 350 that's like stepping on a dead mushroom.

Welcome again!!!

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe a mod can put this in the diesel section. I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people there.

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Welcome...

When you look at the truck here is a few tips and pointers
-Take the oil fill cap off(while its running), and there is smoke coming out...that is blow bye, walk away from the truck

-If you looking at an automatic, make sure it shifts good and doesn't slip. Manual, just make sure it doesn't slip. But good thing is if you get a manul, you can throw a dual disk clutch in it and you wont have to worry about it again (unless you start adding A LOT of go fast goodies)

-Dodge front ends fail. (Ball joints, U joints, tie rod ends etc) So if you find one with new front end parts your ahead of the game. If not, be prepared to change some things.

-Injectors on the common rail...if the engine has over 140k miles on it with NO injector work done to it, be looking to spend $2,000+ on new injectors in the future.

Other than that you looking at a very strong engine...I couldn't be happier with mine. Welcome

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Braydon covered it lol
If your deadset on those years, try for an 04.5 over an 04

I hope I never get tired of driving a stick although I do get pretty annoyed with shifting after driving my 06 f350 work truck

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Braydon covered it lol
If your deadset on those years, try for an 04.5 over an 04

I hope I never get tired of driving a stick although I do get pretty annoyed with shifting after driving my 06 f350 work truck

If you do get tired of shifting we can put my built 48re in yours and I'll take your many! :D

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Welcome to RF

Moved this to the diesel section for ya

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
Looks like everyone has it all covered. Like already said the best CRs are the 04.5-07 5.9s which are 325HP/610lbft tq factory.

Good luck! and welcome to RF, feel free to ask anything on here, we will be glad to help you get rid of your 6.0 and into a badass 5.9

OP
OP
P

profire

Reaction score
Ram Year
non yet
Engine
none
Ha I love my 6.0, just tired of the engine issues. I'm hoping I can afford a cummins once I sell the ford