Texas diesel truck guys and gals!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dooner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
:) This is mainly for the members who have modified their exhaust and EGR by deleting.

:) How do you pass the yearly inspection? I know some counties have emissions testing too. How do you pass that?

:) I do not live in a county with emissions testing, but curious.

:) Here is what I found on the Texas DPS website.

EXHAUST EMISSIONS SYSTEM INSPECTION/REJECTION CRITERIA:

20.14 Exhaust Emission System. The owner or operator of any new motor vehicle or new motor vehicle engine beginning with the model year 1968 equipped with an exhaust emission system shall maintain the exhaust emission system in good operable condition and shall use it at all times that the motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine is operated. The owner or oper-

ator of the motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine shall not remove or intentionally make inoperable within the state of Texas the exhaust emission system or any part thereof, except where the purpose of removal of the exhaust emission system or part thereof is to install another exhaust emission system or part thereof, which is intended to be equally effective in reducing atmospheric emissions from the vehicle or engine.

The exhaust emission system was installed by manufacturers of motor vehicles beginning with model year 1968. The inspection of the exhaust emission system will apply only to those vehicles that are equipped with such a system. The following exhaust emission systems will be inspected if installed as original equipment by the manufacturer: thermostatic air cleaner, exhaust gas recirculation system, positive crankcase ventilation system, air injection system, evaporative emission system, and/or catalytic converter.

If installed as original equipment by the manufacturer, the catalytic converter will be considered a part of the exhaust emission system on all 1984 and later model vehicles. It will be inspected as a part of the exhaust system on prior to 1984 model vehicles.

NOTE: The inspection of the exhaust emission system shall not apply to motor vehicles altered and modified to use only a fuel other than gasoline.

NOTE: Vehicles using liquefied petroleum gas as fuel or a combination of liquefied petroleum gas and any other fuel must bear a liquefied gas tax decal on the windshield lower right-hand corner showing this vehicle uses liquefied petroleum gas, before a safety inspection certificate can be issued.

NOTE: A motor vehicle that uses liquefied petroleum gas that is operated by a public school district or county in this state is not required to have a liquefied gas tax decal or special use liquefied gas tax decal.

:) I did not find anything that specified diesel vehicles, but look at the first NOTE. Would this exempt us from the exhaust emissions inspection?

:) Thoughts, stories, and anything helpful will be greatly appreciated!

Dooner

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In Texas emissions is very laid back. If you live in a county without emissions(most of Texas) even with a gas vehicle without cats and such you will still pass

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Like back in the day with my Dodge Charger in California I had to keep all emission equipment on the vehicle. But I wanted to tune for power so I got both. On the EGR I made a gasket without holes. Then on the vacuum lines I would put 1 BB in the hose to plug the vacuum lines of things I wanted disabled.

So maybe this will give you some idea on how to hide the fact that you modified the system but keep everything in tact...

OP
OP
Dooner

Dooner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Like back in the day with my Dodge Charger in California I had to keep all emission equipment on the vehicle. But I wanted to tune for power so I got both. On the EGR I made a gasket without holes. Then on the vacuum lines I would put 1 BB in the hose to plug the vacuum lines of things I wanted disabled.

So maybe this will give you some idea on how to hide the fact that you modified the system but keep everything in tact...

Exactly what I was thinking. Would it be worth the trouble to gut the DPF and CAT, and run a straight pipe through it? I think I saw some thin block off plates for the EGR that slides in where the gaskets are.

I've asked around locally a few months back and was told that if it came on the vehicle, it has to be on the vehicle to pass inspection. I was hoping to get some insight from some that has experienced it firsthand.

Dooner

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Yes removing the cat and DPF along with adding straight pipe will dramatically improve things

OP
OP
Dooner

Dooner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yes removing the cat and DPF along with adding straight pipe will dramatically improve things

You may not understand what I am thinking. I'm trying to figure out if it would be worth taking everything out of the inside of the DPF and CAT, and run a straight pipe through it. So when you look under the truck, you still see the DPF and CAT, but I would know that it is really a straight exhaust.

I want to do the deletes, but I am worried that after spending all the money and time to do them, it will not pass the yearly Texas inspection. And then I would have to spend all the money of putting it back on. If it was a 20 year old vehicle, it probably wouldn't be a big deal.

Come on Texans! I see you guys running down the road everyday blowing your cool coal smoke out the tailpipe. I want that too. Mine doesn't even give a puff of any color smoke. What do they tell you at the inspection station? Someone has got to know something.

Dooner

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Most inspection stations around here are strictly obdII port testing. If you don't have any check engine codes and all your lights work you'll pass. It's mainly the warranty to worry about when dealing with deletes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exactly. You can easily pass without cats and all that. Just ask all the soldiers around here with no emissions equipment and diesel trucks with all the stuff you mentioned deleted that run 11s and 12s and get daily driven. Then again in bell county there is no emissions testing

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Most vehicles on the road would not pass inspection if they really stuck to the book

It's just a matter of finding the right inspection station around you. Start poking around ask friends. Remember the guys doing the inspection are gear heads too lol
Having a mechanic as a good friend is never a bad thing

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I don't think gutting what is there would be worth it either for as much as the systems are going for!

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In Texas emissions is very laid back. If you live in a county without emissions(most of Texas) even with a gas vehicle without cats and such you will still pass

If you dont have cats on a gas truck it wont pass. Simple as that, trust me I know. Texas allows diesel trucks to not have cats or exhaust as the turbo is enough. My buddy straight piped his cummins for that reason

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you dont have cats on a gas truck it wont pass. Simple as that, trust me I know. Texas allows diesel trucks to not have cats or exhaust as the turbo is enough. My buddy straight piped his cummins for that reason

They will pass. At the local car show about 50% of the cars and trucks have no cats and are daily driven and pass inspection. I've personally had 4 vehicles without cats and all passed inspection due to no emissions in bell county. But it does depend on county and area and whether emissions is required or not. I believe most of central Texas has no emissions except for Austin

Edit: Dooner what county and city do you live in?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dooner

Dooner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
They will pass. At the local car show about 50% of the cars and trucks have no cats and are daily driven and pass inspection. I've personally had 4 vehicles without cats and all passed inspection due to no emissions in bell county. But it does depend on county and area and whether emissions is required or not. I believe most of central Texas has no emissions except for Austin

Edit: Dooner what county and city do you live in?

I Live just down the road from you in Troy. It's Bell county.

I was told before, that on gasoline vehicles, it has to have a CAT in the exhaust if it came with one from the factory when new. They just visually look to see if it is there. They don't care if it works. And I think it changes the older the vehicle gets.

Stangshcky12, I am beginning to think it really would be worth doing, to save the trouble later down the road. I sure don't want to drop my delete exhaust and put on the factory exhaust every year to get it inspected.

Maybe I should open up a shop and do this mod for a living. I could call it "DOONER'S DECOY EXHAUST SYSTEM". NAH! I'm tired just thinking about it.

I may go ask a couple of the inspection stations here tomorrow.

Dooner