What is the best motor and best mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi first timer on this forum. I am dumping my 6.0 ford finally and I don't want to make that mistake again. I am looking for the best year of mega cab and the best motor to get the best mileage. So please any help would be great. Is there motors or years of trucks to stay away from? is the 5.9 the best motor out? manual or auto I will be towing about 6K a few times a week (horse trailer)

Thanks Dirk

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Welcome to the forum!!

The 3rd gen 5.9s seem to have the best track record as far as mileage goes. A low mileage '06 would probably be the holy grail but finding one will have you paying almost as much as a later model 4th gen. In reality all of the Cummins are great motors. Treated right and maintained and she will last you a long, long time. Do you have a price range in mind? Where are you located?

OP
OP
D

dirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am in Calif I see the 06 and mid 07 with the 5.9 from 23K to 35K

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
If MPGs are your main concern and you can't delete then a late 5.9 is probably your best option. Around here the late model 5.9s go for way over KBB value. Where as the early and mid build 6.7 go for just under. The '13+ 6.7s seem to be putting up good MPGs but by the tone of you first post you really aren't looking to buy brand new.

I guess it is all up to what you are willing to pay for.