What's your CTD set up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powerhour

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 and 2019 Classic
Engine
5.9 CTD and 5.7 Hemi
Well I got a 5.9 CTD and she's bone stock, for now! My plans are to get a smarty sr programer, BD CAI, dunno what exhaust yet, new intake manifold, exhaust manifold, full billet transmition, water/methanol injection, twin turbo set up, complete new fuel system and much much more :) I'm a power ****!

Now what are you guys/girls running in it CTD and how well does it work and also what's your future plans? :) I love info! Thanks!

cmns2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
p pumper
let's see chere.....

start off w/ a FASS or Air Dog transfer pump, then get you a full set of gauges(boost, egt, and trans temp), then an S&B cold air(cheap and great quality), then a Smarty, then a Goerend or DTT tranny, then some 90 hp tips....that should hold ya for a while...then you can get an upgraded CP3 injection pump, a 64 or 66 turbo(cheaper and imo better than twins), 120 hp injectors, and studs....after that well ya could put like a 90 mm turbo under the 64 or 66...but you would prolly also want a P&P job on the head....there's a **** load more you can do to em but the 120's, smarty, and 64 or 66 should be good for around 600-700 on #2 only

OP
OP
powerhour

powerhour

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 and 2019 Classic
Engine
5.9 CTD and 5.7 Hemi
Sounds good! Mine is going to be a daily driver as well has a hauling/pulling machine!Thanks for the info!

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
man im jealous

lilfroger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
Start out with gauges. For automatics good ones to have are: Rail Pressure, Boost, EGT, and trans temp. You can do an electronic ODBII gauge cluster but then you are only seeing what the stock ECM is programed to see. (boost will top out at 34psi, trans temp will top out at 150 degrees, etc, etc).

The 48RE are sceptically to heat; once the TC or clutch packs start to slip it will bake and you'll be buying more trans that you want.

For towing purposes you want to watch the air / fuel mix. With load the EGT's go up pretty quick. Bigger isn't necessary better for towing though. Keeping it in the low 60's will keep the lag time and keep the EGT's down.

Keep the nozzle pretty tame. The advantage of after-market nozzles is the better spray pattern. But if you push to much your EGTs are going to go through the roof w/ a load on. Depending on the load weight 90 or less is more than enough for a tow pig.

I'll give ya a hint on the exhaust and towing. I've had several combination from 3.5" (stock) to 5" straight (only thing I haven't done is cut hole in the bed). A 5" straight is a bit dronie with a trailer on. The 4.5 was probably the better sounding setup that kept my EGT's in check.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
^^^^ this chick knows her **** ^^^^

cmns2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
p pumper
froger where were you able to find a 4.5 inch system at? i've never heard of that size...

and yeah, gauges, trans, tuner, tips/full injectors, turbo, studs, and on and on and on

lilfroger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
The 4.5 was a custom job welded up at a local shop before the Jake was put on (Jake has a 5" exit and went to full 5" after that). Only off the shelf brand ever used for the exhaust is a Silverline kit. And that was only cause my muffler guy had one sitting in the back of the shop for over a year and wanted the box gone :rotflmao:

You seem to be one of the only other coal burners .... http://www.ramforum.com/groups/ctd-club/ :)

cmns2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
p pumper
i didn't even know you could get exhaust pipe in 4.5 inch....i got a FBD 4 inch strait w/ a 5 inch resonated tip and it sounds goooooood just a lil too quiet in the cab for me though

and yeah i think the three in this thread are the only ones haha

lilfroger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
I can't promise you can ... friend of the family runs an exhaust shop ... guys got pipe from the 70's that he has stocked piled :)

The 12's have to have the most unique and sexy exhaust note out there!

At least neither of us ever have to worry about being confused w/a Honda like the Duramax's :rotflmao:

cmns2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
p pumper
hahaha that's true

and it may be cuz i drove one for 4 years and my dad bought it new back in 02 but for some reason i love the sound of a strait piped Standard Output 24 valve the most of any Cummins i've ever heard

lilfroger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
The 24's rattle ( a good rattle of course) ... the 12's sing :) .. the 6.7's (with dpf still on) whooooosh a little :roflsquared:

cmns2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
p pumper
hell they whistle a lot w/ a 5 inch and a flow through ****

wolfwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel 5.9l
mine is a 05 ctd dually that is a daily driver, but we have to have to tow our fifthwheel and other trucks or whatever.

Upgraded turbo, k&n cold air intake, bully dog chip, banks intercooler, jake brake, dual steering pod with turbo boost and egt temp guages.

Future: Banks intake and scoop, bully dog programmer and interior mods.

lilfroger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
If you already have gauges look at the Smarty from Mads before you buy that Bully Dog.

Do some deep reading on the web and you'll find the Bully Dog and Edge tend to run hotter EGT's. The Smarty is a great unit. Great low end grunt. Torque Management configuration, timing, rail pressure...all of the biggies.

It has easy to use software presets and the ability to changes settings on each level.

The only down side to it is that it doesn't have a gauge display. But you've got gauges so no worry there :D

What turbo did you install?

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Hmmm... Mods... :naughty:
  • BHAF
  • Edge Comp (tapped using Stealth Plate)
  • Straight Pipe 3"
  • RV275 Injectors (removed for now back to stock).
  • Gauges
  • AirDog 150
  • Exhaust Brake (Jacobs)
  • VulcanPerformance Boots
  • Frantz Filter
  • Mopar1973Man's Custom Crankcase Vent
  • Mopar1973Man's Custom 6 Cylinder or 3 Cylinder High Idle
  • Mopar1973Man's MPG Fooler Mod
  • Custom Back Up lights (Hung on rear axle)
  • Custom Fog lamp (4 100w flood lamp hi/lo selectable)
  • Southbend Clutch Con OFE
  • ScanGauge II
  • Panapacific Indoor/Outdoor Temp gauge
  • Tinted Windows (25% and 5% tint)

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION REBUILT NOV 2010 TRIPLE DISC CONVERTER can handle up to 700hp on the new built trans
BILLET SHAFTS SHIFT KIT
NEW INJECTION PUMP AND 150 GPH RAPTOR LIFT PUMP
AFE COLD AIR INTAKE
QUADZILLA 165 HP PROGRAMMER WITH GAUGES
3 INCH SUSPENSION LIFT WITH NEW SHOCKS
35 INCH KUHMO TIRES 90%
CLEAN INTERIOR WITH CAMOFLAUGE SEAT COVERS
5 INCH STACKS