How cold is too cold?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clancaster23

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Bighorn
Engine
I want to get started on buffing my truck but anyone who lives in the north east knows it's been pretty chilly up here and me without a garage, I have to do it outside. They're calling for 51 and cloudy tomorrow, is that too cold to buff or should I wait for a warmer day? I'll be using Adam's correcting polish/finishing polish with a PC buffer.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Could actually be better. Do it when it's hot and sunny you end up fighting with it drying out and being a ***** to work with.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Unless your getting bikini clad college girls waxing your truck. Then hot and sunny and have a garden hose and buckets of soapy water around.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have always used a "cool" surface. Usually somewhere in the 60's-70's I think is fine, but I don't really know how a "cold" surface would work. I know the product would take a lot longer to set up. This might be a good question for the "experts" ie; autopia or the vendors we have on this site.
Jay

I like the bucket idea---but instead of soapy water I was thinking bucket of BEER :naughty::naughty:

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
In the 1000+ times I have "worked a vehicle" I would bet 100 of those coats were applied when the temp was barely over 0C/32F. I actually prefer the cooler/colder weather when working on vehicles.

OP
OP
C

Clancaster23

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Bighorn
Engine
I actually did just the hood yesterday afternoon and it seemed to work pretty well even though it may have reached 50. I even saw a few larger scratches come right out after a little attention was given. Good stuff. Very happy with the results.

Glowrdr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
As others have mentioned, the colder the better. As long as the stuff isn't freezing - most of your problems occur when the product heats up and evaporates the liquid "binders". The action of buffing will heat everything up on its own, so you don't want to start at 80 degrees and heat it up from there

TheAmbassador

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I run a professional detailing shop, Wax will not set on your Truck if the temperature is below 55 degrees Fahrenheit. So it is recommended that you wait till it is at least 55 degrees before waxing your truck. Yes using a buffer will heat the surface, but you cannot wipe the wax off immediately you need to wait around 10 minutes before wiping it off with a microfiber cloth. If you decide to do it under 55 degrees and also wipe it after only a few seconds or even 2 minutes you'll be waxing your truck a lot. I see customers on average around every 6-8 months coming back for a new coat of wax to be put on their vehicles.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
If you are forced to work outside, between 45 and 70F. I've worked in below freezing and sweltering hot.
The cold sucks for me but the product still works easily. I love HHH but the product? not so much...