How do I get this off? And need cleaning suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok so noticed this the other day but not sure what it is or how to get if off. I thought it was some kind of dirt but even after rubbing my thumb on it, it still didn't come off and there's runs in it from where water or something ran down the bed
photo2-1.jpg
photo3.jpg

How can I get it off? Was thinking clay bar but not sure that would be enough

Also does anybody know any waxes or cleaners that help repel dirt and dust?

I washed my truck a week ago, it rained the next day, and now all I see on the hood when I'm driving is dirt and dust. Almost no shine at all, that's how bad it is. When I washed it I wiped it down with a wet wash mitt and then went to the laserwash and it does clear coat protectant and all that good stuff. Before that it hadn't been washed since may

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
x3 - start with clay bar.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I would start off with the claybar. Then go over it with some Mothers Carnauba cleaner wax. That has worked great for me when it comes to removing stubborn water spots.

dmg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have has very good luck using Griot's Machine Polish 3. It is not as aggissive as rubbing compound but still removes the crap.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Clay Bar for sure. I'm weary using polishing compound these days.
Factory clear coats are paper thin. I'd much rather lift crap off it, then wear it down anymore.

That being said, I did have to use Polishing Compound on my hood the other day, the clay bar didn't wanna get this stuff off. :-(

OP
OP
garner

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok so wipe down the bedsite with the wash mitt and water and then claybar it while using meguiars quick detailer as a lubricant?

And any suggestions as to my second question of stuff that helps repel dust and dirt on car paint? And maybe also enhance the shine a lot?

Does that new armorall wax really work like they say? Or is it crap like their interior products?

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just get the clay bar kit, it will have all you need for the clay baring...

Can't say much about the new Armour All Wax, you know I only use one kind of product on my hoe.

OP
OP
garner

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just get the clay bar kit, it will have all you need for the clay baring...

Can't say much about the new Armour All Wax, you know I only use one kind of product on my hoe.

Well I have a clay bar and a bottle of the quick detailer that my buddy gave me so that's why I was wondering if I use the quick detailer as a lubricant or if the water from wiping down the bedside with the wash mitt would be good enough

And I thought you used 2? Jax wax and then the venom line?

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, I look at them as the same...lol...but no you will want to use the detailing spray...water isn't a lubricant...

If I really got technical, I use four different product lines on my truck...

Wash N Wax = Chem one
Exterior trim, tires and plastics = Jax Wax Super Blue (this stuff is the bomb)
Interior trim = Jax Wax Shine All
Detailer = Venom Spray Detailer
Glass = RainX

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After you use the clay system once, and you want to be really thrifty, you can make a really soapy water mix using car wash soap for lubricant.
But use the quick detailer the first time and just concentrate on the clay first.

Oh- and kned the clay at least after every panel; that pic on the other clay thread which is almost black with contaminents makes my stomach turn; don't rub all the crap all over your panels!

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i'm jumping on the clar bar bandwagon also

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Quick detailed is what comes with the clay bar
I usually just use water as a lubricant, have since I started detailing cars at my cousins dealership 7 years ago

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There is a ton of information on these two web sites.
autogeek.net
autopia.org

Autogeek is a place that sells professional detail supplies however they fully explain the use of each product, what to use it on, how it works and what results you can expect. They also compare products and tell you the differences. They also sell the products they talk about--their prices aren't bad but sometimes the shipping is a little high. Most of their stuff you can't get at a big box store.

Autopia is a worldwide professional detailer site where detailers talk about the products they use, what successes they have had, which of their products work the best and then show pictures of the results. There is also a section that answers questions. If you ask a question, please remember that like all other sites there are some people that are just plain assholes and there are others that will try to help you if they can.
Jay

Mgpatton1s

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Idk what that is but if the clay bar and other things don't work and you just need a last resort, anytime I had something on my old car that wouldn't come off, I put a little gasoline on a smooth paper towel or something and wiped it off. It's drastic but it works lol. As far as wax, I used to use turtle wax ice, but now that I have a black truck I use turtle wax's black box

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Idk what that is but if the clay bar and other things don't work and you just need a last resort, anytime I had something on my old car that wouldn't come off, I put a little gasoline on a smooth paper towel or something and wiped it off. It's drastic but it works lol. As far as wax, I used to use turtle wax ice, but now that I have a black truck I use turtle wax's black box

Yep - I love kerosene as a cleaner. A little less flammable than gasoline.

As for the clay - I used water and it works fine.

For the finish, I love the Turtle Wax Ice - was talking to a buddy today who was talking about his '78 Lil Red Express and just as I was about to tell him about the Ice he told me about it.

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
There is a ton of information on these two web sites.
autogeek.net
autopia.org

Autogeek is a place that sells professional detail supplies however they fully explain the use of each product, what to use it on, how it works and what results you can expect. They also compare products and tell you the differences. They also sell the products they talk about--their prices aren't bad but sometimes the shipping is a little high. Most of their stuff you can't get at a big box store.

Autopia is a worldwide professional detailer site where detailers talk about the products they use, what successes they have had, which of their products work the best and then show pictures of the results. There is also a section that answers questions. If you ask a question, please remember that like all other sites there are some people that are just plain assholes and there are others that will try to help you if they can.
Jay

Highly recommend these web sites, but be prepared for information overload. There is a ton of info available.
Looks like it might be water spots to me.
As for your second question, I could sell you a force field. No seriously! JK

OP
OP
garner

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hopefully I can try the clay bar tomorrow since it was raining pretty much all day today. If that doesn't work I'll try some of the other stuff and sites you guys recommended

Georges98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Please dont tell me you're just using water and "cleaning" with a sponge that way. You're gonna scratch the **** out of the truck.

If you have enough to buy a new truck, get the right stuff to take care of it.