Post professional buff job care products and maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all, have been lurking around the detail section and asked a few questions here and there. I have three weeks to nail down what exact products and then brands I want/need to use to keep my paint as best as can be. A month ago I never heard of Adams or Chemical guys so you can get a barometer of my products knowledge level :)

My buddy is a professional buffer and will be doing my truck in three weeks. 1st, 2nd, and third stage the whole deal. Most places just two stages then polish...

So my questions are what type of products I should be using. In all honestly it can get a little confusing with so many different products and brands.

Another question I have is sealant. Am I supposed to apply a sealant after the buff job? Reading threads tells me yes then wax after the sealant.
http://www.amazon.com/Wolfgang-WG-5...nt&qid=1461177726&ref_=sr_1_sc_1&sr=8-1-spell

Products needed, through your brands in there as well.

Every wash products:
1. Basic wash solution
2. Wheel Cleaner
3. Finishing spray/polish?
4. Tire Shine
5. Bug spray, I drive by lake and kill many many o bugs...

Then a good wax for every 4-5 months, sealant for wheels? I like what people have to say about the Colonite 845 and kinda wanted to give it a try.

Also I seem to have hard water spots at our new home so I need to do something to address that.

My apologies for any redundancy :)

Last edited:

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just a suggestion---if you can afford it why don't you ask your friend to do a complete correction on your truck then ask him to apply a good well named "coating" ie; Wolfgang or Opti. At that point you will only have to perform routine maintenance and not have to wax as often and the product will last for a couple of years. The down side is the coating can cost about $100-125 + the cost of applying it. If you decide to do this make sure your guy has worked with coatings before---cause if you do it wrong, it's a ***** to get off. If you decide to do it yourself, use Wolfgang 3.0 sealant first, let it cure for about 24 hours and then top it with your Collinite 845. You should expect about 6 months + protection from that combination. You can read more about different coatings at autogeek and autopia.
Jay

Glowrdr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Every wash products:
1. Basic wash solution - I honestly just grab a jug of whatever happens to be on sale, as long as its made for washing cars, I've had no complaints.
2. Wheel Cleaner - Sonax Wheel Cleaner
3. Finishing spray/polish - Wolfgang 3.0
4. Tire Shine - Meguires (can't recall the name of it, but its in a clear bottle, dark purple liquid you sponge on the tires)
5. Bug spray, I drive by lake and kill many many o bugs - Never used bug spray personally. That's what car washes are for. A properly maintained car should not need actual bug spray (the stuff will wipe right off with a little elbow grease at most)

As for actual buffing/polishing products - I'm a fan of Menzerna. I use PG1000 for severe correction, PF2500 is my goto stuff for a one pass quick correction, and I also have SF4000 - but I used it once and found it was overkill in my book. That's the type of product for taking something from 95% complete to 100%. Not worth the extra 4-6 hours if you ask me. lol

And you heard correct. You use a sealant after you buff, then you can wax over that. The wax will add "depth" to the paint color. The sealant will keep it shiny.

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 CC 4x4 Laramie AirRide
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Every wash products:
1. Basic wash solution : Chem Guys Mr Pink (Foam Cannon) Only thing I will use from Chem Guys
1a. IRON X (Use it)
1b. Nano Clay Mitt or Clay Bar
2. Wheel Cleaner : Sonax Full Effect
3. Finishing spray/polish? No..= Use a coating if you are doing a 3 step : GTechniq Crystal Serum Light top with EXO v2 if you really want wow factor.
3a. Coat wheels and wheel wells with Hydro2
3b. Coat glass with Flyby Forte
4. Tire Shine : McKee's 37 Tire Coating (I do not like Gloss)
5. Bug spray, I drive by lake and kill many many o bugs... If you have a coating you can wipe them right off.

Crystal Serum Light will actually resist scratches and swirls to an extent.
As stated Menzerna is really good stuff. I really like the new McKee's 37 Fast Polish though really easy stuff to work with and minimal dusting.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...tailed-mckees-37-products-coated-csl-exo.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
jlpowell84

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, great responses! I really appreciate it! I am going back and forth with my buddy talking about sealants and having him talk to his bosses who have serious body work EXP. I will have a couple questions on s few of the mentioned products.

The short answer I have got so far is Todd Fortier of Todd's Auto Body in Springfield OR said to use Turtle wax paste post buff. Todd has over 40 years of EXP and has done work for Jay Leno and friends of his. His gallery of hot rod restoration is known beyond the US. I am not trying to brag just give a view of his knowledge.

I asked my guy, one of his buffers and journeyman painter, to bring up sealant like Wolfgang or Opti to see what he says.

This is all foreign to me and equivalent to reading medical terminology but I a catching on and the theories makes sense to me. Just trying to make it fit with the guy I trust :)

OP
OP
jlpowell84

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also discovered they use "3M perfect it" compounds...

Last edited:

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You would be surprised---well maybe not--at how many guys just drive through a car wash and say "screw it, that's good enough". I applaud your efforts to learn more and taking an interest in what really makes your truck stand out. You've done a great job so far---a word to the wise----never lose sight of the fact that adult beverages are a big part of this whole process!!!! Sometimes you just need them :naughty::naughty:
Jay

OP
OP
jlpowell84

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Jay, yea I have never used a car wash!

I have always enjoyed detailing, its just been several years since I have had one I care about looking good hence here I am.

So I am trying my best to grasp the sealant...I agree with you all it is a good thing. I am just trying to connect the dots between the party saying to use a sealant and then Todd's auto body I trust saying after the few stages of buffing then final polish to simply use Turtle wax paste and it is good from there.

So after a REAL buff job the clear coat has many scratches taken out, melted together, they become no more. Now we know all the swirling and scratches cannot be taken out but many can and it can look damn good and smooth. So after that final polish after the cutting compounds are used in 2-3 stages WHAT EXACTLY DOES THE SEALANT DO ON A PHYSICAL LEVEL? Is it essentially a coating over that clear coat that has been made beautiful to protect it? Like a hard shell/film/layer over it?

OP
OP
jlpowell84

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Every wash products:
1. Basic wash solution - I honestly just grab a jug of whatever happens to be on sale, as long as its made for washing cars, I've had no complaints.
2. Wheel Cleaner - Sonax Wheel Cleaner
3. Finishing spray/polish - Wolfgang 3.0
4. Tire Shine - Meguires (can't recall the name of it, but its in a clear bottle, dark purple liquid you sponge on the tires)
5. Bug spray, I drive by lake and kill many many o bugs - Never used bug spray personally. That's what car washes are for. A properly maintained car should not need actual bug spray (the stuff will wipe right off with a little elbow grease at most)

As for actual buffing/polishing products - I'm a fan of Menzerna. I use PG1000 for severe correction, PF2500 is my goto stuff for a one pass quick correction, and I also have SF4000 - but I used it once and found it was overkill in my book. That's the type of product for taking something from 95% complete to 100%. Not worth the extra 4-6 hours if you ask me. lol

And you heard correct. You use a sealant after you buff, then you can wax over that. The wax will add "depth" to the paint color. The sealant will keep it shiny.

One question, Wolfgang 3.0 sealant as a every wash finishing spray? I thought that was the selant used after the buff job?

OP
OP
jlpowell84

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Every wash products:
1. Basic wash solution : Chem Guys Mr Pink (Foam Cannon) Only thing I will use from Chem Guys
1a. IRON X (Use it)
3. Finishing spray/polish? No..= Use a coating if you are doing a 3 step : GTechniq Crystal Serum Light top with EXO v2 if you really want wow factor.
5. Bug spray, I drive by lake and kill many many o bugs... If you have a coating you can wipe them right off.

As stated Menzerna is really good stuff. I really like the new McKee's 37 Fast Polish though really easy stuff to work with and minimal dusting.

2016 Ram 1500 Detailed with McKee's 37 Products & Coated with CSL & EXO

I am interested as to why that is the only Chemical Guys product you will use. I have heard good reviews about their wash solution and other products. Honestly I am a bit turned off by the prices of Adams products and figured I was going to give a few Chem Guys products a chance.

"3. Finishing spray/polish? No..= Use a coating if you are doing a 3 step : GTechniq Crystal Serum Light top with EXO v2 if you really want wow factor."
I am really interested in this product. I looked it up and it seems to be seriously legit. I am wondering what is the best way to show this to my buffer as a final stage after the 2-3 stages and polish. Do you have any good links on application of this product or any other good results?

Overall I feel a sealant is a must from my short time learning here and am trying to figure out how to communicate this to my buffer. Lastly is this easy enough I could apply it after he does the job? I read the vehicle needs 12hrs to cure so I can clean out my garage.

dkmesa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A good sealant will be all you need to maintain that freshly restored finish. Apply at least once a season and it will guard against swirls and light scratches and also give the paint that slick feel. I apply to my cars every other hand wash.

I have used many sealants, and by far my favorite is Blackfire Wet Diamond - definitely worth the premium over other products and a little bit goes a long way.

OP
OP
jlpowell84

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Every wash products:
1a. IRON X (Use it)

2016 Ram 1500 Detailed with McKee's 37 Products & Coated with CSL & EXO

Ok your truck looked freaking amazing after!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am interested in that glass coating. At some point it has to begin to wear off yes? When it does will it cause that smear like Rain-x and even worse than the smear the fog haze at night when oncoming traffic passes you.

Again I am really intrigued by that Crystal Serum and Exo, need to resource more on application. I am hoping it's something I can do after he finished the polish. He was going to prep Friday night, buff Sat and I could get after the sealant Sat night or Sunday. I don't normally park in the garage but its no prob to clear it out and do so for the weekend.

And last question for you. You use clay bar on every wash?

OP
OP
jlpowell84

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A good sealant will be all you need to maintain that freshly restored finish. Apply at least once a season and it will guard against swirls and light scratches and also give the paint that slick feel. I apply to my cars every other hand wash.

I have used many sealants, and by far my favorite is Blackfire Wet Diamond - definitely worth the premium over other products and a little bit goes a long way.

Roger that. I guess that is where I got a little confused with the sealant vs wax. I thought wax was the final product used ON TOP of sealant. After that its simple hand wash every weekend to maintain that beautiful paint/clear coat with a good wax job every 4-6 months.

Obviously you use the Blackfire Wet Diamond regularly. And a previous comment said they use Wolfgang 3.0 in the normal process as a finishing spray.

Do you wax on top of this? Something like this would be easy in that I can do it myself easy after my buddy is done with the buff job.

I am excited to see the Deep Cherry Pearl paint after its all done. It already pops pretty dang decent in the sun.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You are starting to get many different opinions about products, their use, what order to use them etc etc etc. At this point i'm going to stop and let this conversation continue however I will say PLEASE check the information carefully cause your getting some conflicting information--IMHO. Check autogeek and autopia for accurate information about products, their use and what order to use them. PM me if you like.
Jay

Last edited:

Glowrdr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
One question, Wolfgang 3.0 sealant as a every wash finishing spray? I thought that was the selant used after the buff job?

Sorry - I really didn't answer your question exactly. Wolfgang is just a sealant, not a spray. I've never felt the need for a spray honestly. I have used some Meguires QuikDetail, but that's more for spot cleaning/touchup.

And to answer another question of yours, some people just use sealant, or wax. They are "kinda" the same thing for all practical purposes. But there is nothing wrong with doubling up the protection, and it will enhance the shine as well. You would seal after the buff, and wax on top of the sealant. Sealant lasts about a year, wax last 2-6 months. So you put the more temporary coating on top - so you can reapply as needed. Hope that helps

OP
OP
jlpowell84

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^Sounds good :)

So I have decided after my buddy buffs it I will drive home, quick wash then pull into garage. Then I am going to apply Wolfgang 3.0 sealant that Sat evening. Let it rest/cure overnight then I am going to apply a coat of Collonite 845 wax and call it good! Also going to pick up some of the OPTI finishing spray for future wash in between wax treatment.

I dont know exactly what it is but something is fun to me about this whole process, keeping it looking good and like "wet glass."

I expect it to really look good, especially in the sun the Deep Cherry Pearl really pops. My paint is not perfect as I bought an used 2012 but the truck is in really good condition and paint is on the better side. There is some road rash along the rocker panels and I have toyed with a Line-X coating on JUST the under side that is right at 6". Only the part that faces/slants down to the road.

@Pull Ya, what was that dummy proof simple electric buffer/applicator you had mentioned? I may end up using/getting one if I am going to do wolfgang sealant and Colonite 845 wax back to back in less than 24hrs. My arms and back would appreciate it and surely I can be totally sure the products are being applied without lack.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With both of those products remember that "less is best" Apply it reallllly thin.
Jay