Blowin' smoke..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
So.. I got the truck in my sig... I've noticed in the last while its been easier to blow black smoke.. to the point when I take off after starting the truck and backing out of the driveway its very noticeable... Is that anything to worry about? I've got a 2200km round trip to do next week and don't want something roasting/etc while I'm away. Mileage/power/behaviour seems to be about the same.. It'll roll smoke comin' up the hill coming home if I'm on the throttle...

Last edited:

zack

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5 packing the smarty
Engine
5.9 cummins ho
are you running a programmer

OP
OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I had a BullyDog Triple Dog but I haven't had it on there for over a year... Fully stock.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
How many miles/km's do you have on the truck?

My girlfriends CTD did te same thing, injectors were toast
We were driving normally(up a hill so a slight load on the truck when I really noticed something was wrong) and it was pouring black smoke

She had just over 150k miles on the truck, which is about the time they are known to go bad because Of the inadequate filtration system
Our fuel supply was probably a bigger reason of why they went

OP
OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
163,000kms IIRC..

Its not rolling thick walls of smoke, just more than it used to.. There's truck around here who must have open-tubes running into the cylinders they cloud up the road so bad... its not that bad...

Will a Cummins shop be any cheaper than a Ram dealer to get this diagnosed if I need to? And will it throw a code if injectors start taking a crap?

zack

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5 packing the smarty
Engine
5.9 cummins ho
time for injectors the way it sounds

OP
OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I've got powertrain for until 180,000kms (extended).... are injectors covered?

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Lol I'm trying to upload a pretty good coal rollin' video now but its taking forever

Never threw a code here, local Cummins shop diagnosed it for me as well
They said that it was really a good thing I had noticed it, that most dont and end up melting a cylinder
I'm not sure what your best bet would be as far as where to go
I would think it would be covered

RYAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
definitely injectors, mine are starting to act up also but nothing to bad yet. It is better to do it sooner then later.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Try taking it out on a good long run and get those EGT'S up over 1k and hold them there for a few min ..
Burn that carbon off them injector tips . Might be a issue of a carbon'd up nozzle .

Carbon burns off at 980-1000 deg

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
Try taking it out on a good long run and get those EGT'S up over 1k and hold them there for a few min ..
Burn that carbon off them injector tips . Might be a issue of a carbon'd up nozzle .

Carbon burns off at 980-1000 deg

Good idea. Also throw like a double dose of diesel kleen or something in the tank.

But it could very well be injectors. They should be covered under the powertrain warranty. I had mine replaced under warranty late last year.

OP
OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I hate to admit it but I still don't have gauges I've been wanting to do for a while. Any attempt to get EGTs up would be the blind leading the blind. I've got a 12hr drive coming up where runtime will be long to clear things up a bit.. It has been a while since its had a good long run. I've got a jug of diesel clean in the truck, so I'll throw that in on my next fill.

Thanks for all the advice guys! I really appreciate it!

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
Even without gauges, take her out on a hilly back road and run the hell out of it for a little while.

Good luck! Hope that's all it is

JP03

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003/1964
Engine
Cummins 5.9
iam sorry to bring this thread back but were you guys noticing thick smoke pouring out or just a little because iam noticing light smoke when accelerating but i dont know if its normal and iam just noticing it more now or not

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Depending what your edge is set on, some smoke is normal under acceraltion or lugging the truck

OP
OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Well, an update, and for the last post, hopefully this helps you. I did the drive and ran gunk injector cleaner and got rid of all the excessive smoke. It'll still blow a bit under hard acceleration, but otherwise its clean.

Sent from my Tapatalkin' BB 9800

RYAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
A good puff under hard acceleration is normal, when you notice hazing at mid throttle all the way through the rpm range is a good sign.

do you run any additives? I usually run diesel kleen every other tank and it has seemed to help since I bought it.

JP03

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003/1964
Engine
Cummins 5.9
A good puff under hard acceleration is normal, when you notice hazing at mid throttle all the way through the rpm range is a good sign.

do you run any additives? I usually run diesel kleen every other tank and it has seemed to help since I bought it.

cody edge is on mileage all the time and ryan i normally do not rund additives but that is going to change when i fill up next, also iam noticing it under mild to hard acceleration thanks for the replies guys