Oh you 48re...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Well today I got a BD Valve Body and AFE deep trans pan installed into the truck. Before, I had no trans problems, with a rare, slight hang up going to 3rd gear, but it wasn't bad. Now after the install Shifting 1-2 is great; good solid shift. Now 2-3 is a different story...

It now, every time, runs all the way up to 2000-2100 RPM before it shifts into 3rd (33-35 MPH). Not only does the hang up feel ugly, but the shift is a bit harsh. The truck would never do that before. Could it be the valve body, or did it magnify another problem going on?

Also, for some reason the trans is getting a bit hotter than it would before.

Last edited:

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
What is it you mean by a "bit harsh"? Is it a sloppy firm shift...or does it shift hard and fast? I know with mine and the shift kit, you feel it shift, everytime. Good and solid.

And something doesn't sound right with it shifting into 3rd untill 2000-2100. Does is shift like that during WOT, normal driving, what?

And I'm not sure on getting hotter...maybe with the higher pressure from the VB you **** may be slipping more...I dunno.

Subber to learn

OP
OP
infernoredram

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
No all the shifts are firm and super quick...it's just that shift into 3rd that's a little more harder hitting. At WOT everything's great, it's just at normal driving.

Could it be the solenoids and transducer???

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Did the VB come with a new Solenoid and transducer? If so I've read that the aftermarket ones are junk. Some are good, some are junk. Specially the transducer.

If it came with and aftermarket ones...I'd go back to stock ones and see. The aftermarket transducers will get a pin hole in them and cause the 3rd gear problem...even sometimes causing them to start out in 3rd.

I went with aftermarket transducer and solenoids...15 miles and back to the same problem. I have the 1-2-1 shift problem

OP
OP
infernoredram

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I'll get a video and post it up here in a few minutes so y'all can check it out.

and i'm not sure if it did? I couldn't find anything on it

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Worste case drop the pan and throw some new ones in it...but I'd def find out before doing that. Fluid aint cheap

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
Yea... good luck.

I have no clue, just gettin on here to learn...

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
Yea... definitely not normal. I mean, mine slips, cause it sucks (don't know how it still works), but it shifts when it's supposed to.

Good luck

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Hmmm...I'll pay attention to mine and see if it does the same thing. I've never really payed attention lol

OP
OP
infernoredram

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Its something you can't miss lol...I usually accelerate between 8-10% throttle, and once I hit around 20MPH, my throttle percent goes up to 15-18% just to keep it going to shift.

(I have a throttle % gauge)

OP
OP
infernoredram

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I think I've found the problem... From another public source:
Problem*
"Now when you drive the truck it goes into drive and reverse fine but kinda slips out intermittently, now when driving first holds fine until it gets ready to shift into second, it sorta hesitates into second, (now is where it gets REALLY weird) when it attempts to hit 3rd the tranny starts to smoothly hang up like someone's holding the brakes... And continues to hang up as long as you're on the throttle."

Response*
"If the accumulator is in upside down it will do exactly what you are saying. check it!"

Solution*
"accumulator, it was infact in there backwards"

That was on a BD valve body, but on a 2nd gen cummins. Could the same apply to me?

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Kinda makes sense...let us know what you find out. I'm finding some heavy duty ones for about $40 so I might change mine if it fixes it

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I just did some searching on the accumulator... I don't believe a new one comes with your new VB...but the shop could have put a new one in for ya. I don't know.

But the factory accumulator is JUNK. Its a plastic peice of crap. Only 2 O rings...sometimes they will fall out into your tranny pan.

The new accumulators are heavy duty billet pieces. 4 total O rings. They some time require a C clap to press the new one in...so the seal is good.

I'm gonna check mine out when I change my input shaft soon and I will be changing mine...replacing it with a billet one.

Here is a link to the piece.

Sonnax Billet Accumulator Piston Chrysler Transmission 48RE | eBay

OP
OP
infernoredram

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Update: I went to the shop that put the vb in, and they said the accumulator can go in only one way and that that isn't it. So he was saying to change my solenoid and transducer... Could those two parts be the culprit??

New thing I noticed, when i'm coasting the downshift out of 3rd is really noticable/firm... not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn