Question for the 5.9L community?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamSLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Can I put a 12 valve into my 4th gen with a 5 speed tranny?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Can you? Of course
It wouldn't be easy by any means
Probably very very expensive too
You would also have to check into local laws if it would be street legal as well, some states won't let you register a new vehicle with an old motor (emmisions related)

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
What he said ^

eryk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360
your typical nv4500 tranny with tcase alone goes for $700-$1500 unless you're lucky enough to stumble upon one in a junk yard. then you need all the custom interior parts, custom drive shafts, then the motor = $$$$ they're in demand... plus you have all the other misc things. personally i would love to see this swap, but it would cost you a lot of wrench time and money :/

OP
OP
RamSLT

RamSLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Already got the motor (5.9l 12V) and transmission (Alison 6 spd). Plus the motor is already modded :biggrin:

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Good luck gettin that trans to work in a dodge
Again doable but an electrical nightmare

eryk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360
most of the electrical things you should be able to ground out if you wanted to get it done cheaper, but if you already have a motor and tranny you're a quarter the way there. i really want to see this happen :)

OP
OP
RamSLT

RamSLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
The only thing is my buddy is the one giving me the motor and trans, so before I can get them from him I have to help him finish his diesel derby car for a Christmas derby. So i have few months before I get them.

TheMaddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That'll be sick, best motor and best tranny.

OP
OP
RamSLT

RamSLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I was wrong about it beig a state/local law, it's actually a federal law
http://www.epa.gov/compliance/enforcement/air/documents/fuelwaivers/engswitch.pdf

Ok all I have to do is pass emission's

Is your truck paid off?

Mine no but I'm not putting this into my DD. I'm buying a wrecked one from my work, it's a '12 Dodge Ram 1500 CC. The funny part of this is its my buddy's old truck lol. On his way home 2 months ago he hit a 900lb cow in the road. The frame is straight the motor on the other hand is gone. The truck needs new fenders, hood, grill, lights and radiator supports. It also needs a good washing to get the blood off.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Ok all I have to do is pass emission's

No.

If the vehicle chassis in question has been certified with gasoline, as well as diesel engines(as is common), such a conversion could be done legally.

such a replacement is legal only if the resulting engine-chassis configuration is equivalent to a certified configuration of the same model year or newer as the chassis

OP
OP
RamSLT

RamSLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L

Talked with MODOT & Missouri State Highway Patrol this morning and I can do this I just have to retitle and revin it as a custom build. I have to meet the regulations on what year the chassis was originally built.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Well then, like most diesel swap threads, I'm looking forward to seeing it happen...

Lostnwalmart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That'll be sick, best motor and best tranny.

Far from the best trans.

Talked with MODOT & Missouri State Highway Patrol this morning and I can do this I just have to retitle and revin it as a custom build. I have to meet the regulations on what year the chassis was originally built.

So it will need a dpf? This is going to be a nightmare to get going then even bigger pain to get legal.

You would be much better off with a 47rh ot a re with a stand alone. Don't get me wrong I love the idea but this is going to be far from cheap and easy if done the right way.