Almost time to lose dpf

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hotwheels2007

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500
Engine
cummins 6.7
Any suggestions on tuner and deletes. Truck is almost a year old and a couple of good weeks away from 100K miles. Gentlemen at Thoroughbred Diesel in Lexington, KY suggested H&S XRT Pro w/DPF delete and FloPro exhaust when I stopped in there a couple of months ago. ANY COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS?

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
damn almost 100k already??? I hear lots of people running the h&s mini max tuner wise on the 6.7s. I have no idea on the deletes though

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I betcha Trupiano can help you out, he deleted his truck from what I understand, and its running great. Also you can do the Grid heater delete, that helps it breathe easier also.

All this emissions crap really cuts performance and milage from the new 6.7's. As Trup said once "it's like breathing through a towel that recirculates your own farts".

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You cant got wrong with a H&S Mini Maxx if you can find one Pre-EPA crackdown. I love mine, tuning is great and so is the support.
I also went with the diamond eye 4" TBE and have no complaints.
EGR delete is a must (H&S again) you'll pick up 2+mpg from that alone. Half of my MPG gains came from that alone.
I believe that some shops still stock the XRT's so they will be easier to source, but the digital gauges of the mini are well worth the extra cost...

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
If you can afford a mini maxx over the XRT pro and did a race version I suggest the mini maxx
Both allow tune on the fly but the digital gauges with many options at your fingertips is really nice

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Mini Maxx seems to be the top of the line, with a top of the line pricetag. Are they worth the money??? Anyone that owns one will say "yes!" Especially if you are looking to make a bunch of extra HP. There are several online stores that are offering package deals that will include all your delete hardware (DPF and EGR) plus the tuner for a somewhat lower price. some even offer custom tuning for the MM which can really help extend the life of the engine and tranny.

There is a relatively new company called RaceME (rebranded Smarty) that offers a tuner for about 1/3 the price of the MM. It is a 'set and forget' type of tuner. It doesn't stay connected after tuning so there is less worry of it being stolen. But it also doesn't give you gauges or the ability to have a speed shop build you a custom tune. There are several guys on another forum that have started running them and they seem impressed. The built in power settings are more than capable of adding performance and MPGs.

You can't go wrong with the H&S tuners if you can get a Race version and don't mind the premium price. If you are looking for a tuner to use with deletes but would rather save a few bucks and just install the gauges that you need/want than the RaceME is a nice option.

I have not deleted myself yet but plan to in the near future. I look forward to seeing your decision and hearing your thoughts on your decision.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Whatever route you take you are going to want gauges. So if you go the route without built in gauges make sure you pice out the cost of adding gauges, including pod and install (if you don't have the know how or tools).
The XRT might be $500 cheaper, but you will be close to that much invested after adding gauges.
Even if you plan to keep the tuner set on "stock" it's nice to have the shift on the fly tunes, the higher hp tunes generally net you better fuel economy which would be good for road trips.
If EFI-Live was available for your tuck I would recommend that.
You have a lot to consider, but like Power247 said I look forward to seeing what you choose and how you like it.

WhiteRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500 CCLB
Engine
6.7 CTD
I'm running a RACE (not Street) H&S Mini Maxx and a 5" Turbo Back Exhaust(TBE).

The best investment I've ever made.

With 20+mpg I can get almost 700mi to a tank (hand calculated)
Turbo lag? Not anymore!

There are custom tunes for the MM, but not all of them are just for HP and Torque. They make special tunes for heavy towing too. Also some cool tunes that will make your truck sound like an old 12V! hahaha. I'm still waiting for long term reviews before I get that one haha.

I highly recommend making your stock exhaust go MIA and picking up a H&S RACE Mini Maxx. Just be sure to get the pillar mount and not the overhead. Too many guys who got the overhead complained about it falling.

DO NOT BUY THE STREET VERSION, you will have to register your truck with the EPA to tell them that your truck is for OFF ROAD only.

I picked up a used RACE version for only $850 from a Ford guy. Search the Duramax and Powerstroke forums too. As long as its VIN unlocked and is part number 109003 it's legit. The only difference with Dodge's, is that you may have to pick up a couple wires to run it to your fuse box so it'll turn off when the truck turns off. Ford's and Chevy's didn't need that part. You can pick it up from H&S

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Well it looks like everything was pretty much covered already. Great job cummins crew!

If you're not in an emissions state/county delete your truck! Not only will it be more efficient and powerful, but you'll double the life expectancy and stop your motor from destroying itself.

While your at it, remove the grid heater as well, as it's just a carbon/soot magnet and limits your intake flow significantly when it is covered with crap. Pull the fuel lines and rail off and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Here's a picture of the grid heater, non-deleted after 150K miles. Just think, somehow air gets passed there and into your motor... poor cummins!

intakec.jpg

I went with an H&S Minimaxx and love it! Little spendy, but worth the money. I didn't although, like the mickey-mouse install kit they supplied. The fuse extender seems like a fire waiting to happen.

So I mounted a blendmount to my mirror and wired mine up to the mirror itself. Now it starts when my truck starts up. No more double starts from the MM like when I had it wired to the fuse in the fuse box.

[yt]c9JuNRL-mf0[/yt]

If you can't find one from a dealer, there's still plenty of people selling them used on the forums. And like stated, you don't need to go with the Minimaxx, the XRT pro works just as well, just without the display, readings and guages.

Let me know if you have any questions. Here's some of the things I did to mine to increase longevity and efficiency : http://www.ramforum.com/f17/trups_diesel_mod_thread-33633/index3.html

Last edited:

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
The grid heater? No, it's from a diesel forum. One of the guys, who encouraged me to delete mine. He had about 150K on when he took that out. I only had about 80K.

El Phono

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Far from clean but not near as bad as that other pic.

tap tap tappa-roo